KyleS1 Publish time 25-11-2019 04:16:29

Reading non-fiction

A friend of mine reads one non-fiction book every third book he reads. He tends to read related to his job, but it got me thinking about it. I quite fancy giving it a try, just to broaden my horizons and learn a bit more, but I have no idea what to read.
Does anyone else do this?
Can anyone recommend a good generic non-fiction book? I quite liked the look of those "a brief history of..." type books, but open to suggestions.
It'll be on my kindle, so not picture heavy.

KyleS1 Publish time 25-11-2019 04:16:30

I may start with 'Sapiens, A brief history of humankind'.

Theydon Bois Publish time 25-11-2019 04:16:31

The trump book, Fire and Fury

KyleS1 Publish time 25-11-2019 04:16:31

Good shout. I've heard that's quite an interesting read.

Davidc7230 Publish time 25-11-2019 04:16:31

What kind of subjects are you into? I tend to look for books on topics that interest me (History, Politics, Social commentary etc) but sometimes I will have a browse at the buy 1 get one half price sections in Waterstones for books on subjects I may not hold alot of interest in, but would like to find out more (Astronomy, Science etc)

KyleS1 Publish time 25-11-2019 04:16:31

Definitely science, astronomy to some extent. I never enjoyed History at school and feel that is an area I would like to broaden my knowledge, but I'd like to know a little bit about everything rather than a lot about one particular subject.

Garrett Publish time 25-11-2019 04:16:32

You just reminded me I have this tome to start on a fictional novel based on fact on Richard III.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008NB2GI2/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1
I read a couple of Angus Donald Robin Hood books and they contain facts. I was mentioning to my uncle who read one about something in it being far fetched and he said it fact he been there and seen the castle andunderground passage to it.
His Iron Castle although fiction gives a good account of siege warfare and an actual siege of a historical castle event.

Apart from Autobiographs I think I only read any full books on history Sacco and Vanzetti which was a bit hard going but I read one on Cuthbert Collingwood which was very intresting BBC Inside Out - Collingwood

Davidc7230 Publish time 25-11-2019 04:16:32

Ah I am the opposite I loved history at school, I tend to not stray however out of the periods of history that I am interested in (Victorian England, Modern History, WW2, Ancient Rome etc). That being said, sometimes I'll play a game or watch a film that peaks my interest and I branch out.

I find ordering books online quite a challenge, I do still enjoy reading physical books over an ebook.Maybe have a browse of a local bookshop, look at books that tickle your fancy and then find them on your kindle to download.

KyleS1 Publish time 25-11-2019 04:16:32

That's why I think I might like the 'A brief history of...' type books.
Pages: [1]
View full version: Reading non-fiction