blackrod Publish time 25-11-2019 22:12:46

So you didn't vote?

Tough.

If you cared about the result, you should have voted. As it is, you left the decision to those of us who cared enough to actually get out and vote.

The will of the people was measured and clearly came out as we should leave.

SteakAndCake Publish time 25-11-2019 22:12:46

Confused as to how you could get that from my post.
I did vote. Although I was on the fence right down to the wire.

Toko Black Publish time 25-11-2019 22:12:46

I must have misread it as you were one of the 28%. Apologies.

Ste7en Publish time 25-11-2019 22:12:46

I still don't understand how a vote that has proven to have been undermined by blatent lies on both sides has any legitimacy any more. We are 3 years on and have found out it isn't anywhere near as easy as promised but we have to plough on regardless? Why? The will of the people?

Sonic67 Publish time 25-11-2019 22:12:47

I'm amazed the UK decided to just pretend there was no foreign meddling in the most important referendum for decades.   the UK Electoral Commission, UK Culture Select Committee, and the US Senate all have reports strongly suggesting Russian interference.

Don't we need to fully investigate this before we implement the Will of our Enemy?

Maybe its nothing, but doesn't it at least warrant a pause to Brexit and a full investigation?

Sonic67 Publish time 25-11-2019 22:12:47

With fptp and a virtual 2 party system, unless you are a single issue protest voter that's not concerned enough about every other aspect of the country and our lives, you are stuck.
The green party didn't even front candidates in many constituencies.

Stuart Wright Publish time 25-11-2019 22:12:47

At the time, IIRC, a lot of the snowflakes were glamping it up at Glastonbury.

A question of priorities...

blackrod Publish time 25-11-2019 22:12:47

If you were "on the fence right down to the wire" then you understand why people voted to leave. You are admitting it could have also been you.

You also used to side with this guy.

raduv1 Publish time 25-11-2019 22:12:48

It was 4 million voting for Ukip that lead Cameron to promise a referendum.

He wanted to get into power, lots of marginal were at risk and if he got those voters back he could defeat what was going to be a Labour/SNP coalition.

It paid off in that his promise of "vote Conservative, get a referendum, you won't get one with UKIP," worked.

Despite the polls he did get into power. The next stage was getting a good deal from the EU to then get a favourable referendum result.

A lot of polls supported the idea of being in the EU if there was some reform or a good deal. Cameron came back with little.

Point is, even in a two party system there is marginals and they can hold the balance of power.

I'll have to find the figures, but in the last election there was so many marginals that a few thousand voting the other way in the right places would have put Labour in power.

Bl4ckGryph0n Publish time 25-11-2019 22:12:48

Oh absolutely. And I would have been even more angry about the lies we were told by the leave campaign(s).I would have felt like an idiot for believing the lies, when I normally like to make informed decisions.And I have often thought about what I would have felt if I had voted leave and the vote had gone the other way.I think there would have been a lot of worry about what we had signed ourselves up for by staying in.
I think there has been voter remorse and there would also have been if the vote had gone the other way.
On some limited topics, yes.It's been years since I've watched a Pat Condell video as I thought his views on some subjects were too extreme for my taste.
I'm more of a Johnathan Pye guy now.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
View full version: What is the definition of ‘the will of the people’?