Pacifico Publish time 26-11-2019 01:30:44

Puff....

fluxo Publish time 26-11-2019 01:30:45

But then you’d aim to restrict skilled migration, wouldn’t you?

Government ministers keep talking about restricting unskilled migration. Stopping that sort of migration won’t encourage employers to train more, because little training is needed for low-skilled work.

Bl4ckGryph0n Publish time 26-11-2019 01:30:45

I’m sure I don’t have to explain that there are a lot more concequences to uncontrolled migration than just jobs. Now I agree that successive governments should have planned much better for it such that those risks didn’t materialise but what happened has happened.

Bl4ckGryph0n Publish time 26-11-2019 01:30:45

Which I acknowledged in my reply and refuted. But hey ho, I notice you start shifting the goal posts so fill your boots.

There is no need for an unlimited supply of immigrants for a business to operate. Businesses have operated for a long time with many changing controls.

What is required is a mechanism to seek further afield is the required skills can’t be found locally. And those mechanisms are there to do so. The company I work for is registered as a sponsor. We don’t feel that unlimited influx is required.

Pacifico Publish time 26-11-2019 01:30:45

Have you read what you just typed?

They have a job that will offer £x as a salary, regardless of whether you are from inside or outside the EU.

EU citizens will not be "pre-approved", so that market distortion will be removed.

weaviemx5 Publish time 26-11-2019 01:30:45

Who has pretended that it won't impact the market?

We want it to impact the market. We want employers to have to compete in a smaller pool of workers by improving pay and conditions. We want employers to reduce their use of low skilled workers by investing in automation and productivity.

Sonic67 Publish time 26-11-2019 01:30:46

True - but if you restrict the supply of low/no skilled labour then that incentivises Companies to invest and mechanise/automate their systems - thus increasing productivity.

You aint gonna be an economic powerhouse by aiming for a low wage economy.

weaviemx5 Publish time 26-11-2019 01:30:46

It's not just an argument, it's a proven effect on the low skilled.

Does a 10% rise in immigration lead to a 2% reduction in wages?

weaviemx5 Publish time 26-11-2019 01:30:46

It's at around the level when someone with kids starts to become a net benefit to the public finances.

Immigrants with no children are a net benefit at much lower down (a little above minimum wage).

Pacifico Publish time 26-11-2019 01:30:46

Ok, so what’s the impact on wages of the lowest skilled workers when U.K. businesses replace them with automation?Automation may be good for the country/economy as a whole, but how does it help those people who have neither the ability nor interest in learning new skills to support the automation?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16
View full version: Working at Amazon