MarkR Publish time 26-11-2019 05:49:40

Stopped running and getting back to it

I don't really need to loose weight but want to keep my cardio up so have been doing 5km runs every other day. It now must be coming up to over 2 weeks since the last run and I know it sounds daft but mentally I am now thinking I am unfit. Do you think it will be easy for me to get back into it and also will I be able to still run 5km easily? I remember someone telling me that it takes about 9 weeks before your endurance level drops??

I was doing early morning runs but now slowly the dark morning are creeping in i have lost the motivation.

Any motivational and guidance tips would be appreciated.

Thug Publish time 26-11-2019 05:49:41

My advice would be to stop thinking about it and just do it.
I heard your fitness level can start to drop after just 2 weeks, so now is the time to start.

I know a mental barrier is difficult to over come, but you really need to stop thinking about how you were and just go out to enjoy it.

I used to try and better my times every time I went out, but now I actually try and run as slow as I can to keep my heart rate into the zone that burns fat. This is actually quite tricky to do, but also saves me punishing myself when I cant run as fast as I did because I am trying to run slow.

Take it half a km at a time, and when you run that half, try to run another. 3km will soon go by.
Alternatively, have different length routes, so you aren't trying to better yourself or trying to be as good as you once were. I have several courses of 1.2 miles, 3.3, 3.8, 4.4, 6 and a few others. I cycle through these depending on how much time I have spare.

MarkR Publish time 26-11-2019 05:49:42

I have been doing exactly that in regards to beating the time too and sometimes feel deflated when I don't beat my pb. Good idea about having varied distances and that would give more incentive to go for runs even if it was for a short one if not feeling up to it.

Thug Publish time 26-11-2019 05:49:43

The thing is there are so many variables that can effect you.
Sometimes I set off and a half a mile later I could stop and go home. This is usually when the pollen is high as I suffer from hay fever and get out of breath in no time at all.
Sometimes I will set off and just feel deflated and sick, so take a shorter route. Other times I feel as though I could carry on so go on one of my longer routes.
It also depend on what you have eaten and when you eat it too.

The main this is, don't feel as though you are letting yourself down when you don't run as fast or as far, just think that you are doing better than what you would be sat on the sofa.

I am going to the gym now, but will run the 1.2 miles straight there rather than the 4-6 miles I usually do. I don't feel bad about it, its just one of those things.
I have also heard that running for just 5 minutes per day can have a big effect in increasing your fitness level, and I can see that because its got to be better than just sitting around.

Wardy257 Publish time 26-11-2019 05:49:44

Why not do something a bit more exciting than running?All exercise is good for the heart and lunges, but running isn't all that good for the rest of your body.What about some sort of bodyweight circuit or buying a kettlebell and doing kettlebell circuits?

jammybugger Publish time 26-11-2019 05:49:45

I feel the same way, is it just me or the dark mornings make it really hard to motivate and get out of bed?I justify it by saying I'll go running after work and then I'm just too knackered when I get in.I think I just need to try and find the motivation to get started again and hopefully that'll get me back in the swing of things.Used to do 3 to 4 miles every other day :-(

Spacecat Publish time 26-11-2019 05:49:46

Why not do a body weight circuit in the comfort of your home in the am insteadand then add in lots of walking as part of your regular day

jammybugger Publish time 26-11-2019 05:49:47

Yeah I think I need to start again slowly.Sounds like a good plan

Martin.D Publish time 26-11-2019 05:49:48

Running isn't exciting? Running isn't good for the rest of your body? sorry I had to laugh at this statement..

Joining a running club and participating in races is by far more exciting than squatting in front of the TV. What better motivation than training with others! All exercise can be dangerous or physically demanding on your body but taking it easy from the start and knowing your limitations will help prevent injury.

Thug Publish time 26-11-2019 05:49:49

I guess it all depends on 'what you are into' as to whether its exciting or not.
I don't particularly find it 'exciting', but do find it enjoyable, especially as you get better at it.

We are all different, and what you may find exciting in life others may not.

As for not being good for the rest of your body, then that clearly isn't true, but it all depends what you want for your body. If its to make your arms stronger then it wont be, if its purely fitness and well being as well as losing some pork then it is great for all of your body.
Pages: [1] 2
View full version: Stopped running and getting back to it