alphaomega16 Publish time 27-11-2019 05:37:39

New Lan Cables

Some of my lan cables are starting to show their age and I was going to buy a replacement set but not sure whats good or not nowadays.

Got my eye on two different ones.

4x https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B018GK0XCA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AEB9F56C3A3O6&psc=1

Or the 5 pack of 2m multi colored here
https://www.amazon.co.uk/deleyCON-MK2794-Network-Pieces-Colorful-Multi-coloured/dp/B0794ZNQPJ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

What looks good out of the two, after delivery costs of the bottom its only a few quid off the top one.

Fe_man2000 Publish time 27-11-2019 05:37:40

No sure how many answers you will get, personally I hide the cables out of the way as much as possible so how they look is irrelevant- I would get the cheapest ones, performance wise is of course not an issue.As your replacing working cables with working cables I suspect its going to be which ones look the nicest to you. but those both look OK and arent every expensive.

rubbertatti Publish time 27-11-2019 05:37:41

Make your own to size £60ish for cable £20ish for crimp tool and plugs another £5 for the tester. You should have near a life time supply

alphaomega16 Publish time 27-11-2019 05:37:42

The last one I bought the casing broke so easily so just wasn't sure what seemed durable.

Got one going from upstairs room, out through the window frame down the wall and to the extension and its been solid through all the crap weather for over a decade now but last one I bought to go from upstairs to downstairs (all indoors) was tattered and destroyed in less than a month with all the wires coming through the casing.

Rather not do a DIY job but didnt know if the multipack seemed too cheap and may break too easily compared to the other.

the only reason I was going to get colored ones was so I knew what was going where lol

rubbertatti Publish time 27-11-2019 05:37:43

That’s a good point with colors. Personally I wouldn’t run cable outside. Better to run under the carpet or behind the skirting if you have wood floors, sticks like s**t is good for sticking the skirting back on.
I only mentioned diy because these cables are either too long or too short as I found routing it all behind the tv and also I ran a cable from router to upstairs had to drill a hole to get the cable though and fish it though a tight 90 degree bend, I wouldn’t have been able to if it had a plug attached

but if it had a plug on the end I wouldn’t have hit the alarm cable with the drill and quickly order a fuse from amazon just to realize that I had kept spare fuses in the alarm box. I also had to get a two gang Ethernet socket and wire router to on plug and upstairs to the other and bridge the two with a very short Ethernet cable.
Pages: [1]
View full version: New Lan Cables