d0z3y Publish time 1-12-2019 21:06:22

Best wired video door bell

Hi all,
I am looking for recommendations for a wired video doorbell (in the uk).I will have cat6 with poe at the door and have a Hikvision cctv setup.I would like a video doorbell that doesn't have a dependency on the cloud, though this is not a deal breaker.I would also like minimal latency from when the button is pushed through to an alert and then also motion detection and recording.

Does anyone have any experience with the following (or better options):
- Hikvision DS-KV8102-IP Door Station
- Doorbird D101S
- Ring Pro

Thanks!

dbank Publish time 1-12-2019 21:06:23

I had tried the Hikvision DS-KB6403-WIP, but had too many issues with the wi-fi connection, so I bought a Doorbird D101S and connected it via POE. Very happy with it, iPhone app responds quickly on Wi-fi, and okay on 4G when the wind is in the right direction. Not really feasible on 3G. Image quality is quite low, but I think this is deliberate. Not much options to adjust the stream, but I don't care as I have to other cameras covering the door anyway.

Door bird support is good, plenty of info on their website and I didn't any problems connecting it to my Synology Security Station as a MJPEG stream (there isn't a H254/5 stream). As I understand a Ring Pro won't allow you to connect to a 3rd party VMS. In short for me DoorBird was the best solution.

VforViennetta Publish time 1-12-2019 21:06:24

Has the doorbird proved reliable, then? There are quite a few negative reviews on Amazon.

Do you have to pay for a cloud subscription to be notified on your phone when someone rings the door? Or is a subscription required only if you want to store recordings on their cloud?

Are you using surveillance station on Synology? Can it start recording as soon as it detects movement?

Thanks!

dbank Publish time 1-12-2019 21:06:25

Re Doorbird D101S,
Yes, it has been reliable, although I don't use motion alerts
No, I don't pay for any subscription to store or receive alerts.
Yes I'm using Synology surveillance station (SSS) , I have it set to record 24/7 and use SSS to detect motion. I don't think you can get SSS to use the DoorbirdsPIR motion detection.

In summary

Pros
Looks nice and is well constructed
Stable when connected POE
Works with SSS
No subscription
Alerts and video acceptable on APP when phone is connected via (good) 4G and Wi-fi.

Cons
Fiddly installation, but not impossible. (more suited to pro than domestic installer)
Video quality is a little nasty especially at night, (but I probablydeliberate so it works on low bandwidth with low latency.)
No control of video stream settings
No Time date stamp on video (don't care)
Apps a bit odd! but does the job

Below are a couple stills pulled from the streams. I wouldn't be happy to use the night image quality if I didn't have two better cameras covering the doorway already.

VforViennetta Publish time 1-12-2019 21:06:26

Thanks a lot for the replies, much appreciated!

So you use Synology Surveillance station to record, and the Doorbird app to answer when someone rings, right?

I presume this uses the manufacturer's cloud, so if they went bust you'd be stuck with a doorbell that can record to your Synology - which is better than what you'd get with the various Ring Arlo etc because those would probably become useless bricks if the company discontinued them or went bust.

I wonder if there's a way to answer on your mobile without using their cloud...

Puntoboy Publish time 1-12-2019 21:06:27

I always thought the Hikvision doorbell could be PoE connected?

dbank Publish time 1-12-2019 21:06:27

>So you use Synology Surveillance station to record, and the Doorbird app to answer when someone rings, right?
Correct

>I presume this uses the manufacturer's cloud, so if they went bust you'd be stuck with a doorbell that can record to your Synology - which is better than what you'd get with the various Ring Arlo etc because those would probably become useless bricks if the company discontinued them or went bust.
Yes the app must use the manufacturers servers / cloud in some way when you're not connected locally to your LAN. So that functionality would probably be reliant on DoorBird staying in business, but I would expect it to still work with my Synology NAS.

>I wonder if there's a way to answer on your mobile without using their cloud...
Unlikely, but maybe with some form of VPN lash to make your phone think it's still on the LAN (beyond me!)

Interesting "Milestones" on their wsiteIt also states the stream are only 450 KBit/secwhich help explain why they actually work. (even if they look a bit nasty at night!)

dbank Publish time 1-12-2019 21:06:28

Nope the DS-KB6403-WIP is only wi-fi, other Hikvision doorbells may be POE

VforViennetta Publish time 1-12-2019 21:06:29

Probably even when you are connected to your LAN.

Not sure about iphones, but, on Androids, push notifications are based on Firebase Cloud Messaging (FCM). I don't really know the details, but I think that requires a server of some kind.

You can program Telegram to send you certain notifications, though. If you google it, there are examples of people who send themselves Telegram notifications based on what happens on their Synology NAS.

3guk Publish time 1-12-2019 21:06:31

Ring Pro gets my vote, I've had one for 3 years now and it's been fantastic. Just the otherday the button started to fall apart, Amazon sent me a brand new replacement the next day.

The only thing I will say is that I wish I went for the Ring Pro Elite version, which has POE - my Pro is on the outside of the building and when I first installed it, got a relatively week wifi signal ! Luckily I was able to move one of my APs and now signal levels are fine !
Pages: [1] 2
View full version: Best wired video door bell