Aventura10 Publish time 1-12-2019 21:08:42

Can Ring stick up camera be hacked?

I have a Ring stick up camera in my room because I live with a roommate. When I’m in my room I turn off motion recording. However, last night the blue light came on while the camera was off. The blue light comes on whenrecording motion. Has anyone else had this happen?

I bought this camera in a pack of 2 off of Amazon

Bl4ckGryph0n Publish time 1-12-2019 21:08:43

First things first. Everything can be hacked.

Normally that wouldn’t necessarily be a big risk unless you leave everything on default settings and don’t protect your WiFi etc. However if you are sharing a network you are making it a lot easier for anyone. I just wouldn’t. Especially not if your room mates are it literate.

Clement Publish time 1-12-2019 21:08:44

You can enable 2-factor authentication on Ring for additional security. If someone guesses your Ring user/password then they'd still need a one-time code sent to your phone to log in.

dms Publish time 1-12-2019 21:08:45

In which case you need to think about the protection you have on the otp.

If it's to a phone will the code show when the phone is locked.... is the phone locked when not in use.... does the room mate know or could they easily know the code (patterns are trivial to observe, codes not much harder, I've no real world experience of finger print cloning.... but pressing a phone against the hand of someone asleep will work).

Otp can be great but when living with someone who may want to gain access to a device and who has easy physical access to the network and all devices.... well I'd be worried.

Not related but a fun story....I remember a guy who had a web cam in his room 24/7 back in the days when it was novel and new.As he knew it was there and the timing between images taken he was sure he would never be caught out.... so sure he ran butt naked across his room and guess what the camera saw!
Pages: [1]
View full version: Can Ring stick up camera be hacked?