jouster Publish time 1-12-2019 21:17:15

Anyone using any smart powered blinds

I know Ikea will soon have their own range available in the UK but it looks like the largest width blind is going to come up short.

Wondering what else people are already using.

Wants would be Alexa integration and the ability to set timers or auto opening on sunrise/sunset.Also battery powered with solar charging as opposed to a mains connection.

Thanks in advance.

Mr X Publish time 1-12-2019 21:17:16

Subscribed. Also looking for options at the moment.

shahedz Publish time 1-12-2019 21:17:17

I'm looking for smart blinds too. Was excited about Ikea but I have the same issue - sizes don't work for me.

I know Ikea have said they're not adjustable, but I am hoping they'll be someone who does hack one into fitting different size blinds or adjust Ikea's own.

494930 Publish time 1-12-2019 21:17:18

I've been waiting patiently for the IKEA ones to be released as they're just big enough for my needs. Looking at the pictures online I don't think it'd be too difficult to rob the mechanism from one and fit it to a blind of your choosing. Time will tell.

Have you looked at Bloc Blinds? Shop Motorised Roller Blinds Online - Bloc Blinds

PsyVision Publish time 1-12-2019 21:17:19

We have a bloc blind at home, it's a full blackout rather than a simple roller blind and it works really well.I've considered their motorised blinds for the cinema but the home automation integration seems to be (a) use their app (b) use alexa etc. which for me isn't good enough, I want an API etc. to connect it with my Hubitat hub.

I'm currently looking into Controliss/Newblinds powered by a Somfy motor connected via 4-core wiring to an Aeotec z-wave relay which will in turn be connected to Hubitat.

If you don't need the full home automation integrations then the bloc blinds are at a great price point IMO.

gg13533 Publish time 1-12-2019 21:17:20

Not sure if you've seen the unboxing video of the Ikea blinds - might be of interest.

IKEA HomeKit blinds unboxing shows off rechargeable battery and more ahead of expected US launch this month - 9to5Mac

jouster Publish time 1-12-2019 21:17:21

I know they do blinds but as per my original post, they don’t do the required size.Their max is 140cm and all the windows I'd want them on are 170cm wide.

It looks like someone might be able to make some custom metal parts for the middle sections enabling them to be made to the required width and then replacing the roller blind I guess...will keep an eye for people hacking these

Update:a post on Reddit suggests buying two units and using them together.I’m sure this would work but the additional cost (new blind material and having to buy two units initially) would just be a pain considering Ikea would just need to release a few more larger sizes.I don’t think our windows are that big

jouster Publish time 1-12-2019 21:17:22

Block blind do look cool and having done a bit of searching it seems there are a few options out there offering a similar service.

Can't find any sold pricing for the Ikea blinds in the UK but Bloc and other seemed to be around £160 for a made to measure blind and then on top of that you need to add the smart hub for about another £180...obviously this gets more reasonable the more blinds you control.

Hopefully, as Ikea release, I can see other sellers prices dropping slightly to compete and then will be the time to look around.

mossym Publish time 1-12-2019 21:17:23

i think the biggest issue with modifying the ikea blinds is whether the motor can take the heavier load. if it's cheap it's not because they used premium parts.

i'm pretty sure i could knock something together that would extend it but that question is stopping me

jouster Publish time 1-12-2019 21:17:23

in truth when adding in the extra cost of parts and hacking things about...I think some of the other options on the market will be as cost-effective...its just the smart features (hubs and such) that increase the cost slightly
After a quick chat with the Bloc online help, it seems they don't even come with a charger for the rechargeable battery as standard...the make out that it is an optional extra (battery comes charged for first use).
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
View full version: Anyone using any smart powered blinds