raceking Publish time 1-12-2019 21:18:34

Ring Doorbell Pro vs Nest Hello

Hi,

I'm looking to get a camera doorbell during Black Friday and had initially decided on the doorbell pro from Ring.I'm very much an Apple user and in their eco system so the fact HomeKit is coming for Ring is a good thing for me.However after doing some more digging a lot of the reviews I see rate the Nest better and people in threads have said the Nest is better.But is it actually that much better?

I know on forums you see people posting more about problems as they want answers, so it is always hard to gauge.No one posts just to say everything is working flawlessly.

The thing that I like about the Ring Pro is you can set zones.So I could set zones around our cars, drive and not have an alert every time someone walks on the footpath in front of our house.We have fibre broadband and I'm running multiple wireless home things (Hue, Tado, Sonos) without issue so I don't think our internet connection should be an issue.

Any input is greatly received.

Jamie Publish time 1-12-2019 21:18:35

If you have an active Nest Aware sub you get zones too.

Does the ring do continuous recording yet? For me at least I find motion activated recording can be a bit annoying as it often catches the end of things happening. With a suitable sub my Nest doesn't miss anything.

I also like the video displaying automatically on the home hub when the doorbell rings, not sure if the ring does that with Alexa displays yet, it didn't when I got my Nest.

neonplanet40 Publish time 1-12-2019 21:18:36

I had the same dilemma as you last year and went with the RIng Pro.

My reasons primarily:

Constant recording, while it sounds good, is ONLY good if you have a great internet upload speed. If a device is recording in 1080p HD 24/7 (As the Nest does) it is also uploading 24/7. Which means it is constantly stealing upload bandwidth in your house. Traditionally in the UK, our upload speed is much slower than our download.

For me personally, I couldn't allow my meagre 20mb upload to consumed 24/7 by the Nest.

The Ring Pro for me was a compromise. In the year I have had it, auto activation has only missed 2 events (that I can tell). It only uploads when something is picked up (movement, heat signatures etc).

All in all, it has worked well for me.

raceking Publish time 1-12-2019 21:18:37

That’s a good point. Constant upload eating into the WiFi bandwidth.

Just had a look at the different subscription costs as well. Google are having a laugh aren’t they, £4 for 5 days of video. And if you want 30 days like Ring then it’s £24!

anticlaus105 Publish time 1-12-2019 21:18:37

Is that £24 per month? That's way more than Ring. If you only have one camera that will get you a years subscription with 30 days (used to 60) with Ring.

raceking Publish time 1-12-2019 21:18:38

Yes £24 a month!

https://store.google.com/gb/product/nest_aware

Arongo Publish time 1-12-2019 21:18:39

The Ring Pro is by far better because you have a two way audio. Camera quality is not better than the Nest Hello though. But overall, I'd go with the Ring Pro for various reasons such as the long term price and convenience. Nest Hello vs Ring DoorBell Pro: Which is best? Side-by-Side

anticlaus105 Publish time 1-12-2019 21:18:39

I'm sure nest is better than ring. I've never been completely happy with it, but at that ongoing price I would still get a ring and put the nest subscription towards a hikvision system to go with it.

mushii Publish time 1-12-2019 21:18:40

Which is your experience? You researched both or you have owned both? You imply one thing then say another?

Arongo Publish time 1-12-2019 21:18:40

What if I said both? My answer is accurate enough as far as i'm concerned. "Talking from experience and did hella lot of research on this topic. "
Pages: [1] 2 3
View full version: Ring Doorbell Pro vs Nest Hello