Autopilot Publish time 1-12-2019 21:21:44

CCTV recommendation (POE)

Hi. We are building a new house, which is almost complete. We got our Electrican to install a CCTV system (and Nest Hello door bell, which absolutely smashes the Ring 2 we had out of the ballpark).

However while the CCTV is POE and 4 cams each side of the house, it’s not blowing us away. The DVR is hard to use, and uses a not-great app (SuperLive pro) for remote access. The quality of the footage is mediocre, and night view is terrible.

So given that the cat5 cable is there, should be fairly easy to upgrade.

Looking for;
* Quality domes, with good night time ability
* POE
* Ability to add further cams, including wireless ones when the garage is built.
* Decent PVR, with decent app.

Budget is £800 max.

I really like the new wave of intelligent smart cams like the Nest, but they require constant uploading to the cloud. I don’t have the bandwidth for that many cams 24/7 at good quality. Unless there is something with a PVR option?

Any ideas? Where should I be looking, and what are the best manufacturers?

Thanks

Markr123 Publish time 1-12-2019 21:21:45

Based on my pre-sales experience, talk to Dan @ IP Cameras and IP CCTV webshop I’d avoid domes (again based on experience) look at hikvision turrets.

Starting point? Hikvision DS-2CD2345FWD-I 4MP Turret Network Camera

chrisfraser05 Publish time 1-12-2019 21:21:46

We really rate Foscam. The new G4 series have Human detection etc

I'd agree with the above comment regards Turrets over domes

Autopilot Publish time 1-12-2019 21:21:47

Thanks for the advice, we actually do have and prefer turrets, got them mixed up.

Jabes Publish time 1-12-2019 21:21:49

I have Dahua and they seem good

Puntoboy Publish time 1-12-2019 21:21:50

Hikvision for me. I have just installed another turret and this time I went for a 8MP one. The quality is epic.

mushii Publish time 1-12-2019 21:21:51

Hikvision, but it is prosumer gear and not the pretty interface that the cloud based consumer cameras have. I am afraid it is a trade off. Prosumer with NVR - Great images, very reliable, not so pretty (but very functional) interfaceor pretty interface Arlo / Ring stype cameras with monthly fees and expensive.

Puntoboy Publish time 1-12-2019 21:21:52

YOu're right, it's the only think that lets HV down. The web interface pretty much only works on IE reliably and the interface is clunky. The iPhone app isn't the best either. But like you said, it's functional.

mushii Publish time 1-12-2019 21:21:53

Being fair to Hik, the interface was never designed for Joe public consumers. It is much more designed for professional video surveillance systems and operators. But I think with the growth in consumers using their kit, it would be nice if they provided something a little more aesthetically pleasing. I doubt they will as they have their own range of general public consumer cameras and they have made it clear that the normal Hik products are not designed (or supposed to be sold) into our market.

JohnLith Publish time 1-12-2019 21:21:54

I have a question. Where it is the best place to buy 2 cameras for my home and what else i would need? I am totally have no idea about security cams si I am asking for suggestion and opinions. I found one website which seems legit - CCTV security cameras: surveillance system for good price online. Does anyone tried it and have something to say good or bad. Or maybe someone knows other good places where I could buy it.
Pages: [1] 2
View full version: CCTV recommendation (POE)