kosymodo Publish time 1-12-2019 21:24:09

Anyone using SimpliSafe or similar smart home security?

I'm going to be moving into a new build at the start of next year, and am considering a smart home security system.Seems to me that the 2 options to consider might be either SimpliSafe or Yale.Does anyone have any experience of either?SimpliSafe looks pretty cool, whereas Yale seems to be a more established system.

mushii Publish time 1-12-2019 21:24:10

I guess my first Question would be, are Simplisafe registered with NSI ? as there is nothing on their website (probably because they are a US company). Secondly their price starting point does not include any of their advertised features, they are pretty much all extras. Thirdly their smart Zigbee integration is limited.

They are very new to the UK market. There are other 'smart' alarms out there that are more established with proven track records

kosymodo Publish time 1-12-2019 21:24:11

OK, points taken.Price-wise they're OK, within my price range anyway.

Given the choice, what would you go for from a more established company with a track record?I'm not so much interested in CCTV, more the sensor-based approach.

mushii Publish time 1-12-2019 21:24:12

What do you actually want your alarm to do? What Smart featured do you want? An app to arm disarm and let you know of an activation?2 way key fobs for arm disarm and status? RFID tags to arm and disarm? All of which are pretty standard on most professional domestic alarms.
People talk about ‘smart’ alarms but don’t really explain what ‘smart functionality’ they want. Smart to me is something like CytechComfort.

Or do you mean Lifestyle - like Honeywell Tuxedo.

Personally I wouldn’t install the Yale systems

You would be better with a Pyronix Enforcer. Easier to install, Grade II wireless alarm.

kosymodo Publish time 1-12-2019 21:24:13

Well...I basically want a system that I can arm/disarm via app, with sensors to cover door/window entry (prefer magnetic sensors rather than motion sensors), with a siren, maybe with key fobs.System should notify me via the app (or a connected app) of activation.Would be great to have the option of a smart lock for the front door (i.e. keyless lock).

Will take a look at the CytechComfort, as never heard of this.Will also look at the Honeywell and Pyronix systems.

mushii Publish time 1-12-2019 21:24:14

I would not bother with Comfort, it is overly complicated and expensive. Otherwise most modern alarms will do all of that except open the door. But you can do that easily enough with modern smart locks.

kosymodo Publish time 1-12-2019 21:24:15

So, looking at the Honeywell, this seems to be a controller for a system, rather than a system itself?Would you therefore suggest building a system with the Tuxedo as the centre of said system?Bolting on accessories as required?

As for the Pyronix, this looks initially a bit baffling, as doesn't appear to be plug-and-play.However, reading more into it, it does seem to offer the scalability I'm looking for, albeit the accessories seem a bit pricey (e.g. £37.50 per magnetic contact?)

mushii Publish time 1-12-2019 21:24:16

The pyronix is a totally wireless system. Its super easy, very reliable and has all of the features you talked about. I wouldnt use Tuxedo, it was just an example. How many door contacts are you planning. Seldom use more than 3?

No alarm is going to be plug and play. All will need a degree of programming and configuring. Honestly, I taught myself the Pyronix in under 2 hours from scratch. It is that easy

dave77 Publish time 1-12-2019 21:24:17

Personally, I wouldn't scrimp on a home security system. I've had a Yale in the last house, it was terrible. Currently have a Risco Agility 3 professionally fitted, never had an issue with it.

Puntoboy Publish time 1-12-2019 21:24:18

Do you fully trust the wireless sensors? Have you have any issues?

Currently I am torn between the Pyronix and the Texecom alarms but at the moment I would prefer them wired.
Pages: [1] 2
View full version: Anyone using SimpliSafe or similar smart home security?