smallieboy Publish time 1-12-2019 21:24:30

Do you know what this is - small panel on wall in corner of room?

Hi all

Can anyone tell me what this panel is for please - apologies for the quality of the photo!)? I have them in the corner close to the ceiling of a number of rooms.

https://www.avforums.com/data/attachments/1139/1139566-6295f316f4462f36dce2ef390f646a32.jpg

Also, in the understairs cupboard, this panel is hidden behind a cover; I assume they are somehow connected but there's no documentation/instructions anywhere and I can't tell if there's even power to this panel.

https://www.avforums.com/data/attachments/1139/1139567-22439a4fd10a1af807222273e7cda786.jpg

Thanks in advance

THX1138UK Publish time 1-12-2019 21:24:31

The small panels likely cover cables that has been joined. Probably TV or telephone cable, but It could be electrical cable, so open with caution, and make sure you use an electrically insulated screwdriver when removing the screws.

Regards,
James.

Jamie Publish time 1-12-2019 21:24:32

The small plate is just a standard architrave switch blanking plate from the looks of it. A architrave switch is Approximately 90mm by 30mm.

Looks like the blanking plate was just used to cover up either cables installed for future use or possibly to cover up where something has been removed.

Do you have an alarm? There's one mentioned on the labelling in the second picture, if you do t I'd suggest the blanking plate in the corner of the room is covering up where a PIR sensor was previously mounted.

smallieboy Publish time 1-12-2019 21:24:33

Thanks for the replies. I don't have an alarm but I guess the previous occupants may have.

I did wonder about the possibility of them being junction boxes, PIR's, etc, but couldn't find anywhere that explained it well enough to be sure.

As I'm not planning on having an alarm or doing any wiring, etc. I'll continue to ignore them!

Thanks again

blicky_1 Publish time 1-12-2019 21:24:33

These were common in new build properties where the builder (or normally electrician) ran alarm cables so just put a blanking plate to hide the cable, then then used to offer an alarm as an 'option' to the new owner, nowadays due to wireless alarms they just put a fused spur in the hallway or cupboard for the alarm to connect to.

Jamie Publish time 1-12-2019 21:24:34

The fact the second box has cut cables and terminals labelled alarm I reckon the previous owner has taken it to his new house and added the plates to tidy up the area.
Pages: [1]
View full version: Do you know what this is - small panel on wall in corner of room?