tigor82 Publish time 1-12-2019 21:24:36

White smart bulbs

Hi all

I'm wanting to change my GU10 halogen spotlights to smart bulbs. I bought two Philips white ambience bulbs but on full brightness they glow yellow compared with my dumb bulbs. Do the coloured bulbs give more of a pure white light? Or any other alternatives? I'm ideally wanting to control via iOS HomeKit but realise many other manufacturers will pair with my Hue bridge which I understand will allow me this control. Correct me if wrong!

Purchased Hue (yellow) bulbs

terryf Publish time 1-12-2019 21:24:38

If the bulbs are Ambience you can select the whiteness of the bulbs.

Jamie Publish time 1-12-2019 21:24:39

Exactly this. There's 3 general levels for hue bulbs, the cheapest are labelled as simply white, if the packaging says "white ambience" they are adjustable from really warm yellowy white to really cold almost blue white"

Obviously the colour bulbs are the top tier which adds colour but still includes the adjustable white function.

The cheapest white bulbs I believe have a colour temperature of 2700K which is towards the yellowy end of white.

tigor82 Publish time 1-12-2019 21:24:40

I think I accidentally ordered 'warm white'. I have now ordered the below which I feel should better?

Roll over image to zoom in Energy efficiency label Philips Hue White Ambience GU10 Dimmable LED Smart Spot Light

Jamie Publish time 1-12-2019 21:24:41

Yes the actual white ambience are awesome. I find being able to change the white colour temperature a game changer. Colours a novelty and nice to have but I'd really miss having adjustable white now, it's almost become essential.

Edit to add, just spotted the link in your original post, yes they are the standard white bulbs with a fixed colour temperature.
I've never tried the GU10 white but in my experience the fixed whites also have a much higher lowest dimmed level. The same size ambient whites can dim to a much lower level in comparison. Well worth the extra IMO
Pages: [1]
View full version: White smart bulbs