WeegyAVLover Publish time 1-12-2019 21:24:44

mihome energenie VS lightwaverf - Which is best

Hey All,

I currently have the Mihome Energenie system - gateway, 1 light switch and about 5 or 6 double sockets.I have had this for about 18 months to nearly 2 years and if I am honest it has never worked properly since the start.

I live in an old victorian house so I have solid walls and this I am sure has a part to play in the problems I am experiencing.However in the past few weeks I have bought a mesh network system which has made a massive difference to the wifi network coverage around the house for all the various wifi plugs and Hue bulbs I have,.I now have little to no issues with all my other smart tech but still the energenie system grinds my gears.

I have alexa as well and when I use that to turn my lights on in my lounge - Hue comes on with no problems immediately but energenie plug sockets that are meant to come on only do so intermiitantly and when turning them off via alexa they are also intermitant.

I am therefore looking at lightwaverf as a replacement but not sure if they have the same issues.They are vastly more expensive and I wondered if that is because they are just better or more reliable then energenie or are just overpriced for the same technology.

Has anyone used both and can give me their personal experience?
Anyone have energenie or lifghtwave rf, live in a house with solid brick walls and experience the problems I have?
Anyone had my problems and switched from one to the other? did it work?

Thanks Col

dave77 Publish time 1-12-2019 21:24:46

I don't know about Mihome but Hue and Lightwave don't use wifi. I fitted lightwave (hub/ 3 light switches) at the weekend, replacing Hue bulbs, great so far. I spoke to Lightwave today as I want to use sockets in the garden, they said the range is 35m from the hub if that helps. Maybe if you buy direct from them see if you can return them if they don't work?

It's 7% topcashback direct from them (try get them to match on phone) and Costco do a pack of three for £160.

WeegyAVLover Publish time 1-12-2019 21:24:47

Actually now that you mention that I am sure energenie is the same and does not use WIFI and uses UHF.Just done a bit of googling and reading and it operates at 433Mhz and has a range of up to 30m in open space, which sounds like the Lightwaverf operates in the same way.

I wonder if moving the gateway into my lounge for a while to see if that improves things at all.If that worked then maybe purchasing another gateway and having the devices in my Kitchen diner area controlled by another one may solve my problems.

Thanks for jogging my memory.... Sounds like I have a bit of homework and testing to do.
Pages: [1]
View full version: mihome energenie VS lightwaverf - Which is best