LED Tom Publish time 1-12-2019 21:25:33

Looking for Hard wired Color LED Lighting with mounted wall switch control

I like the Hue LED lights (either the LED Can or strip lights) and looking for a way to control the color and brightness via a hard line wall switch. Anyone heard of this type product? Doesn't have to be HUE but to light a 11' x 14' room. Appreciate your help.

xxGBHxx Publish time 1-12-2019 21:25:34

"Control colour and brightness" are two very different problems.

Brightness is trivial using the standard Hue controller (about £18). Set up in minutes and works well as on/off and dimming.

Colour is a bit more complicated and depends on how much control you want.

Most of the Hue switches allow you to assign pre-configured colour setting to the switches (press once for colour pattern 1, twice for pattern 2, three times for 3 etc.)

If you want fine grain control of the colour where you can dynamically change the colour on the fly then you could use a tablet/phone running the hue app to do it. That would give you the colour wheel and a touch interface to change it as required but that's going to cost £80for a low end phone/tablet to do it. Then you have to think about how you're mounting it on the wall and getting permanent power to it.

MUCH higher up the tree are the HA solutions like Crestron. They will all do this and a lot mroe but it's a LOT of money unless you want to do a lot more besides and just have it as part of your HA solution.

G

mushii Publish time 1-12-2019 21:25:35

The only other alternative would be set up a DMX system, but this will neither be cheap or the elegant solution that you desire. Using a Fibaro ZWave RGBW module you can have 4 physical switches (one for each channel) which will allow some basic RGBW on/off plus channel mixing - R and B on gives purple etc, but beyond that, as @xxGBHxx has said, you either need to look at Crestron or tablet control.

I have Hue Controlled (Dresden Elektronik FL-PP Zigbee controller) LED strips in my cinema room (for bias lighting) that I control using a HUE stick up switch with 4 different predetermined colours. In my kitchen I have aFibaro RGBW module, with the white channel on the main wall switch and the other 3 channels on 3 hidden switches, under the cabinets (although its easier just to tell Alexa what colour I want). In all honesty, except for a little showing off, when guests come round or for parties, I rarely use the kitchen colours.

cossie Publish time 1-12-2019 21:25:36

If you are after a hard wired wall plate switch that can switch your RGB led strip on / off and change colour then there are lots available in 12 vDC, 24 vDC, and 230vAC. There are even zone control panels that can control multipledifferent strips, each a separate zone. A quick internet search should find what you are after. The 230 vAC powered switches which I've looked at normally use the power to operate the switch but then use wireless to operate the Led driver / RGB controller.

For example;

/proxy.php?image=https://visualchillout.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/240V-wall-plate-RGB-controller.jpg&hash=26877a4214720e4b621f4070dda3742d&return_error=1                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                240V wall plate RGB controller - Visualchillout                                                                                                        Our mains voltage 240V wall plate RGB controller requires a live and neutral mains feed, and transmits via RF to the LED driver that drives the RGB strips.                                                                                                                                                                                /proxy.php?image=https://visualchillout.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Favi2.jpg&hash=c29d09455977b40915373aaa73b3d61b&return_error=1                                                                                                                                visualchillout.co.uk                                                                               
I was going to use a hard wired 24 vDC one myself in my living room until a change of plan's forced a move to LightwaveRF, wife changed her mind!
Pages: [1]
View full version: Looking for Hard wired Color LED Lighting with mounted wall switch control