ademanuele Publish time 1-12-2019 21:44:50

Installation of SkyBell HD in UK

I am getting conflicting information concerning transformer requirements for a SkyBell HD in the UK.

The SkyBell web site shows the following for set up with a chime:
http://www.skybell.com/content/uploads/2016/08/SB_doorbell_both.pdf
It indicates that you need a 10-36V AC transformer. When I contacted SkyBell in the US they advised that I could use the built in transformer on a Byron 776 chime ie no additional transformer required. However, when I contacted the EU distributor for SkyBell I was advised that
"the built-in transformer (The Byron 776 chime) does not work with the skybell because the skybell needs 12 volts to work properly. and the Byron 776 is an 8 volt transformer."

"Skybell HD requires permanent power 12vdc - 19vdc 2ADue to the difference in frequency (USA 60Hz - Europe 50HZ) we do not support the usage of an AC transformer.

You will find the right power adapter in our webshop
Skybell Poweradapter12 Volt DC EU

The Byron 776 chime is a gong that you can use only the transformer not.”

Has anyone installed the SkyBell HD in the UK and any advise re. an appropriate chime and transformer? Can the SkyBell work off AC or DC current of the appropriate voltage?

Thanks

Tony

Marsbar Publish time 1-12-2019 21:44:51

Apologies for jumping on an old thread, but I'd like to know if you resolved this. The SkyBell FAQ explicitly says

What are the power and voltage details?

Voltage 120/1130v AC, or 220/230/240v AC Transformer Range: 8-36v AC, 8-15 VA Low Voltage Transformer(UK/Europe) 8-36v AC, 1 AMP 8-15 VA.​
but it's not 100% clear whether that's only for the original version or includes the HD version.

psychopomp1 Publish time 1-12-2019 21:44:52

I’ve had/have the following SkyBells installed (all bought from US directly) and never had to install any transformers - they simply replaced my mains wired regular doorbell (220-240v)
SkyBell original
SkyBell HD
Skybell HD trim (current)
Pages: [1]
View full version: Installation of SkyBell HD in UK