Smallclone Publish time 2-12-2019 03:54:25

Solid state via USB adapter Vs USB Flash

Hi,

I currently run Linux Mint on a USB Flash drive (16GB) to an Intel Celeron NUC. I only use it for browsing and VLC Media playback - it's ok but not exactly snappy.

I was therefore wondering whether installing Linux Mint on a 120GB Solid State drive connected via one of these would make the experience any better? Or not?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-SATA-Adapter-Cable-Drives-en-GB-SATA-USB-3-0-converter/dp/B01N2JIQR7

Thanks for any advice.

EndlessWaves Publish time 2-12-2019 03:54:26

Without knowing anything about the drive or the rest of the system it's very hard to give a definitive answer. If it's a high end thumb drive I wouldn't expect it to make much difference. If it's a mid-range one it may or may not help depending on what the rest of the system is and if it's just a cheap one then it should help even if the rest of the system has limitations too.

Have you actually installed Mint to that drive or are you running it as a Live disk?

Also, why not use the SATA port inside the NUC instead of buying an external adapter?

Smallclone Publish time 2-12-2019 03:54:27

Thanks, Yes it's the full Linux Mint installed on a 16GB low end flash disk. usb 2.0. The NUC is similar to this one:

Intel NUC Kit DCCP847DYEIntel QS77 2 x 204Pin Celeron 847 1.1GHz - Newegg.com

I don't really know to be honest, I thought maybe it would help cool it down if it was external?

stevelup Publish time 2-12-2019 03:54:27

If it is that particular model then your best bet would be an mSATA drive.

EndlessWaves Publish time 2-12-2019 03:54:27

Probably, but you'll notice much more performance benefit from having it connected to SATA/mSATA directly than having it slightly cooler.

Most of the NUCs came in cases with or without 2.5" drive support, but I think that particular one might have been mSATA-only.
Pages: [1]
View full version: Solid state via USB adapter Vs USB Flash