emptage Publish time 2-12-2019 04:46:29

Router Extension Antenna

I have a Virgin Media Superhub 2(about to be upgraded to Hub3) and a Nighthawk R7000 router.Which is on the desk behind the computer.It has 3 antenna and I am thinking of buying an extension cable and and antenna which I would plug into one of the three connections currently occupied by the by antenna and placing the extension on top of a bookcase the other side of the room.Is this likely to improve the wifi coverage ?

psychopomp1 Publish time 2-12-2019 04:46:30

Very unlikely. Why not move the router to a better location using a longer ethernet cable if necessary?

emptage Publish time 2-12-2019 04:46:31

Why would this help rather than having an antenna extension.At least then there would be antenna sending out signals from 2 different positions.

This was the sort of thing I had in mind.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=router extension aerial&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

psychopomp1 Publish time 2-12-2019 04:46:32

The loss in the connector and the longer cable will lead to a shorter range - even if the external antennas provide a few dB more signal. Bad idea overall. Can't you move the router? Otherwise consider an additional access point.

emptage Publish time 2-12-2019 04:46:32

But if a longer cable will result in a shorter range will this not also happen with moving the router to a different location with a longer cable.

I am simply trying to understand it, I appreciate your rsponses

Kristian Publish time 2-12-2019 04:46:33

Longer cables between the router's antenna ports and the antennas may be detrimental for the wifi signal due to signal loss on the cable, moving the connection between the Superhub2 and the Nighthawk will be done via Ethernet and the cat5E/6 cable used to connect them together can be up to 100m without loss of performance (assumption made about how the Hub and NH are connected now).

emptage Publish time 2-12-2019 04:46:34

Thanks Pyschopomp and Kristian for the replies, I understand now.

I think I will have to find another, more robust solution to the problem, probably a Mesh system
Pages: [1]
View full version: Router Extension Antenna