chrisloudon Publish time 2-12-2019 04:47:16

NAS + HTPC + Steam Cache AIO Advice

Hi guys,

As per the title, I am looking to setup an HTPC, NAS and Steam Cache server as a single box and could do with some advice on how best to set this up from a back-end perspective.

I’m a proficient Windows user and while not so comfortable with Linux, I’m more than happy to watch a few YouTube vids on getting to grips with the basics but I’m at a loss as to know where to start with regards to what primary OS I should be using and any VM’s that I might need.

As the unit will be housed in my AV shelving rack, my choice of chassis is limited by dimensions so while expensive, the Lian-li O5 looks like it fits the bill given its comparatively large 3.5-inch drive capacity for an enclosure if its size and it has a slimline 5.25-inch optical drive bay that ticks my UHD disk playback box.

It will be powered by a Core i7 7700k, 16GB DDR4, Z370 ITX Mobo and an ITX sized Nvidia GPU that I have yet to decide on.

With regards to the storage configuration the following will be installed:

1 x 8TB 3.5 Drive
3 x 4TB 3.5 Drives
1 x 480GB 2.5 SSD
1 x 250GB NVME

The HTPC side of things is straightforward but as I mentioned earlier, I need to be able to playback protected disks in 4K with HDR and TrueHD / Atmos as well as ripped MKV / M2TS content stored on the NAS side.

And lastly, while not a must, I would like to use one of the disks for Steam cache storage. I live in a rural area where smoke signals and carrier pigeons would be quicker than my broadband connection so it would be useful to have my gaming library stored locally to speed up installs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have yet to purchase the chassis so happy for alternatives to be suggested but space is tight, and the optical drive support is a must.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

next010 Publish time 2-12-2019 04:47:17

I have never tried out any steam cache system before but a quick look shows them to be all linux based, I couldn't see any windows version but as I said it was not a deep look.

One system which seems promising is this LAN Cache unbound, it covers all the major gaming services not just Steam and is still updated, it also has an auto installer script for linux.

The auto script suggests LTS Ubuntu server, but you might be able to use the regular v19 desktop version of Ubuntu too which may be easier to start out with as this is also a HTPC. Just open terminal and type in the commands listed to clone the repo then run the sh script. Also make sure you have enough IP address available in your DHCP range as it uses 36.

In the Ubuntu app store you will find Kodi it is simple to install and have that as your media front end.

You can also make Ubuntu auto log in to a user account in its control panel settings to have automated reboot/login if you so choose.

If you need remote access to the machine, Teamviewer and Anydesk work on Ubuntu, I prefer Anydesk <-when selecting linux make sure you pick Debian/Ubuntu/Mint 64-bit from the drop down menu.

A device like Flirc is very handy as it just plugs into a PC and you can program it to work with any remote so if you want to use any IR remote with the HTPC that is the ideal way. The config software is also available for ubuntu.

Thats the path of least resistance I can think of for doing that mix of what your after.

chrisloudon Publish time 2-12-2019 04:47:18

Thanks for the very helpful response.

From what I have read, Kodi lacks native HDR support and given the fact that my disk media playback requirement limit me to Cyberlink's PwerDVD (correct me if I'm wrong) then I will use Win10 as the primary OS for regular HTPC use with a Ubuntu Server VM running in the background to handle LAN Cache Unbound. I checked the services they support and it does include Steam along with a load of others that would benefit me as well.

C

next010 Publish time 2-12-2019 04:47:19

Yeah if you want to do that path too running in a vm should do the trick.

Windows HDR support is iffy, there are HDR controls under; settings->system->display->advanced display settings but all this does is force HDR on all the time with SDR emulation.

I do not use PowerDVD so don't know if it can auto invoke a HDR output, a few games on Steam can activate it and other media players like MPC-BE require MadVR to output a HDR video signal.

Linux is no better and undergoing work to enable HDR, there is an offshoot of Kodi called OSMC which can play back 4K HDR output though it is a STB with no physical disk support, the Vero 4K

The Xbox One has a BD disc player and Kodi in its app store but this version of Kodi is not optimal
* It cannot auto switch between SDR/HDR even though the OS supports it.
* It cannot switch to 24Hz output even though the OS supports it.
* Audio is limited to stereo output or just Dolby 5.1 for surround.

There are very few good options when it comes to physical disc support.

chrisloudon Publish time 2-12-2019 04:47:20

Thanks again for the input.

Yeh, Win10 and HDR does seem to need a lot more work.

My Livingroom system connected to an LG OLED works perfectly with MPC-HC   MadVR and flicks HDR on as soon as the video starts to play without having to use the Windows HDR toggle. Games also play with HDR very well but my bedroom system connected to a Philips Momentum 436M6VBPAB isn't fairing so well with HDR as everything just looks dull and washed out.

Cheers

C

Sloppy Bob Publish time 2-12-2019 04:47:21

Kodi does support HDR, the issue is that you have a device capable of running it.

I use a Nvidia Shield TV with Kodi and HDR is fine on it.
Pages: [1]
View full version: NAS + HTPC + Steam Cache AIO Advice