Tonyb1959 Publish time 2-12-2019 05:00:02

Wifi problems with fibre Broadband

Hi hope someone can help me with some useful info?
About two weeks ago I had my all singing and dancing fibre Braodband Fttp connected which has given me excellent speed and coverage around the house. The problem is that there seems to be some sort of compression on my wifi link? My cd quality quobuz definetly does not sound as good as priously using BT broadband fttc There also appears to be a visible glare on my Oled and Skyhd Box when connected to the fibre looking very (Pushed with lack of fine detail).
Has anyone any similar experience?
Cheers Tone.

tich77 Publish time 2-12-2019 05:00:03

lets try to break this down

1. Fibre is not going to improve the speed or coverage around the house. Presumably you received a new wifi router, which is what will provide the improvements.

2. Is there compression on your wifi link? Its is possible, certain vendors have, in the past, offered ways to "improve" the data throughput of a link by - amongst other means - hardware compression of data. However, such compression is lossless, not lossy, and each packet of data is checksummed to reduce the possibility of an error causing an issue. It would not result in music "not sounding as good"; an error of a single bit in a 16-bit byte of music is probably inaudible, and would be picked up by the checksum at hardware level, or in the playback medium. It woudl take considerable errors to result in a very audible and intrusive distortion in the sound track.

3. FTTC is fibre to a cabinet, then a copper path to the house. Thus, its extremely unlikely this is going to cause any issues with audio playback on any device! Neither is it going to affect the visual quality of a TV.

I can't see how any device could cause visible glare to a TV screen; RFI could cause an issue with analogue TV sets, but not digital signals, and I cannot see how RFI could interfere with an OLED (or plasma, LED, LCD) screen, let alone cause "glare". And in regards to a satellite box, none at all as the frequencies are so far apart.

Tonyb1959 Publish time 2-12-2019 05:00:04

Hi tich77
Many thanks for the reply! Maybe it's just a case of seeing how the router beds in? Is there likely to be any burn in period? Or do thetransmitter swork within spec from the off? The router is very (happy shopper!)compared with BT home hub5 on Fttc.
         Cheers Toneb.

tich77 Publish time 2-12-2019 05:00:05

There is no "burn in" or "bed in" period for a router; it works, or it doesn't (or it works and progressively develops issues due to heat over time). But nothing that will affect your A/V gear.

The only part of the system (from router to cabinet) that is akin to 'bedding in' is the DSLAM, ie the equipment in the cabinet that monitors your line. Over a period of 10 days it will train the line (literally, monitoring signal quality) and adjust the 'speed' according to the line quality. Really important: do NOT switch your router off during this period; if you do, the DSLAM will consider this a fault and progressively lower the line speed.

The 'transmitter'; I assume you mean the wifi antenna? yes, they "work within spec from the off".

Tonyb1959 Publish time 2-12-2019 05:00:06

Thanks for the info!!

ChuckMountain Publish time 2-12-2019 05:00:07

Just re-reading this post.The OP says he has FTTP not FTTC so presumably has had a nice new shiny fibre cable installed to his property?Can you confirm (as DSLAM won't be applicable)

OP is also talking about a streaming service albeit at CD Quality so if there is an issue with the stream either overall internet connection speed or change in Wi-Fi in the house then this could cause the music streams to drop to a lower quality.If you can hear a difference then it is worth checking to see what the quality of the stream is.

tich77 Publish time 2-12-2019 05:00:08

You're right, I misread FTTp as FTTC. My bad. However, FTTP is even less likely to cause interference to AV equipment, as the incoming line carries no RF signal at all.

Unless the router is blasting RF (although that shouldn't interfere with a digital TV as described). I can't comment on the streaming service, as the ones I use preselect quality, and buffer the tracks. I thought it was a local playback device...

FaxFan2002 Publish time 2-12-2019 05:00:09

My suspicion would be the new router having a different, possibly more congested wifi channel than the previous one. Causing the apps etc. to throttle back a bit.

Tonyb1959 Publish time 2-12-2019 05:00:10

The new router has a pass thru for a phone line it is also running 802 11n not ac like the old router but can still split the network between 2.4 and 5 ghz. I thought this spec difference was purely how far the signal would travel not anything to effect quality? I guess I could try a wired connection to see if there are any improvements
DSLAM is n/a the connection is fttp.

psychopomp1 Publish time 2-12-2019 05:00:11

Who is the ISP and what make/model of router have they supplied you with? Find it rather strange that they have given you a 802.11n router rather than a 802.11ac one for a fttp line.
Pages: [1] 2
View full version: Wifi problems with fibre Broadband