cunnas Publish time 2-12-2019 05:01:32

Google Wifi Mesh and Virgin

Hi all, I currently have a VM Superhub 3 and thinking about getting the new Google mesh system as it's on sale on Amazon today.Setup looks easy but I have a couple of questions...

Do I need to set the SH3 as modem only mode or just leave it as it is?

I have devices plugged in to the SH3 via ethernet, will these still work in modem/router mode or will I have to go wifi on them (not really a problem)

mickevh Publish time 2-12-2019 05:01:32

Leave it as it is. You may want to turn off SH3 Wi-Fi as won't "integrate" with the Google system. That's not to say SH3 Wi-Fi won't "work," it's just that you won't get the cooperation between SH3 & Google to agree radio channels, expedite handoffs, steer clients to particular AP's, single management platform, etc. etc.

Modem mode usual defeats all but one of the ethernet ports and it wouldn't surprise me if modem mode knocked out SH3 Wi-Fi too. It will also partition your network into two placing any devices connected to the SH3 (wired or Wi-Fi) in one network and everything downstream of your router (whatever that might be) in another, very likely preventing the two cohorts of devices talking to each other, so I wouldn't do it.

"Routing" and ""Wi-Fi" are different and unrelated things. It's just that in a SOHO "get-you-on-the-Internet" onmi-box, they just happen to share the same physical enclosure. If your SH3 is doing a good enough job of "routing," (ie availing Internet service,) then there no reason to turn it off because you want to introduce additional or alternate Wi-Fi infrastructure downstream of the SH3. All you (should) really need to decide is whether you want to continue using the SH3 Wi-Fi or not. Most SOHO routers let you turn off (just) their Wi-Fi with a couple of clicks, but leave the rest of their functionality otherwise unchanged.

cunnas Publish time 2-12-2019 05:01:33

ok cheers for this - that is very helpful.I ended up not buying the Google Mesh as despite the £50 discount, it was still pricey.The SH3 does a decent job on wifi bar a couple of rooms and in the end I couldn't justify the cost when I think a powerline setup for a third of the price would do the same job

MarkyPancake Publish time 2-12-2019 05:01:34

If you set your Super Hub to modem mode, it acts as a modem only, so in this mode, it must be connected to a separate router to get router functionality back. You would do this if the Super Hub's routing capabilities don't meet your needs and you want to use your own router to perform this task instead.

cunnas Publish time 2-12-2019 05:01:35

Thanks - was aware of this but the question stemmed from what I had read about the Google mesh being your new router - I wondered if by having the SH3 set as a router, it would cause bother with the new mesh system - having read the comment above, and also some on the VM forums last night, it seems it doesn't matter whether you set the SH3 in modem only mode or keep as a router - the mesh system will work with either.

As mentioned above though, whilst the idea of a mesh system is good - and the reviews seem good too - it seems a bit overkill for me when a powerline setup will work just as well and be a fraction of the price.
Pages: [1]
View full version: Google Wifi Mesh and Virgin