rid1 Publish time 2-12-2019 05:01:55

Orbi RBK53 vs BT Whole Home (3 disc)

Apologies in advance if this has already been posted - I couldn’t find an answer to my specific situation.

I’m currently trying to decide on which mesh Wi-Fi solution to install at home (2 floor/4 bed).

I have narrowed it down to the Netgear Orbi RBK53 and 3 disc BT Whole Home and am leaning towards the Orbi due to dedicated backhaul.

However, as I have the option of installing them using Ethernet backhaul via existing 1200Mbps Powerline adapters, would the BT solution do just as good a job (for half the price)?

Any input and experiences would be greatly appreciated.

nuggies5 Publish time 2-12-2019 05:01:56

I have the 3 disc BT whole home.
Fantastic bit of kit.
We use Vodaphone for our briadband,and the router they supply is terrible on Wireless,always dropping connection,trouble with DNS etc.
Anyway thought I would try a mesh system .
Gotta say the wireless we have now is fantastic,no dropouts,faster and we have coverage over 3 floors in our house.

Palder Publish time 2-12-2019 05:01:57

Are you still using the Vodafone router with WiFi diasabled?

nuggies5 Publish time 2-12-2019 05:01:58

I disabled WIFI on the Vodaphone router

psychopomp1 Publish time 2-12-2019 05:01:59

The Netgear Orbi RBK53 will be better as it has a dedicated backhaul wifi channel whilst the BT one doesn't.

raz77 Publish time 2-12-2019 05:02:00

Is the backhaul still needed if you have all your discs connected via Ethernet? I ask as I have 5 Bt discs and want to know if the Netgear is any better. Like I said mine are all linked via Ethernet around the house. I have a 900mb broadband connection. Just want to know would the Netgear do anything better than I have now or do I wait for next round of new WiFi standard kits

raz77 Publish time 2-12-2019 05:02:01

I have been happy with the BT kit, only issues I have sometimes is app for checking system saying I am not connected, even though internet is working fine. I have found the connection better with Ethernet over WiFi connection between discs. Can’t fault it for price

pyrotenax Publish time 2-12-2019 05:02:01

I have the Orbi RBK53 … fantastic bit of kit

Bl4ckGryph0n Publish time 2-12-2019 05:02:02

I have to ask, why install a mash when you then use a wired backhaul? Aren't you creating a hub and spoke that way? And thus could use any old WAP. What am I missing?

We use Orbi Pro at work, I use Tenda at home. I know which one I prefer...Tenda gives me five mesh points for less than the cost of one Orby satellite.

raz77 Publish time 2-12-2019 05:02:02

I have a 5 bedroom three story old Edwardian property with thick walls. In the past I have had to use multiple WiFi routers to get a signal through the house. Since getting the Bt discs and using them each with a wired backhaul I have perfect WiFi throughout the house. I get far better speeds and good connection with them being wired rather than having each disc connected to each other over WiFi. I use a hard wired connection for the multiple Apple TV 4Ks I have and also have my sons Xbox and PS4 hard wired. I have a 900mbs download and 50mbs upload FTTP connection and all works well. Can’t fault the BT discs for the price. I will upgrade the whole system in around 18 months once WiFi 6 is more mainstream. I have had the Bt disks for around three years and have been faultless.
Pages: [1] 2
View full version: Orbi RBK53 vs BT Whole Home (3 disc)