DLxP Publish time 2-12-2019 05:05:40

NAS for 4K + Infuse

I've a very basic question, but the world of NAS is completely unfamiliar to me.

I want to buy a two bay NAS to use solely for:
4K films to Infuse on Apple TV 4Krun a torrent client (and possibly VPN)store all my musicGiven the NAS would simply serve up files here, I presume it doesn't need to be too fancy (as it might need to be if, for instance, I wanted it to run a Plex server)? Could I get away with one of the older Synologys? e.g. a DS213

Sloppy Bob Publish time 2-12-2019 05:05:42

As you say it's just serving data, it doesn't need to be high powered.

Another option would be an HP Microserver, that would be a bit more work however but you'd get more disc racks for the same money.

I have a Synology and it's an excellent piece of kit to the point once it's setup it just works.

DLxP Publish time 2-12-2019 05:05:43

Great, thanks for the quick reply. Just working once set up is precisely what I want.

I don't foresee me ever needing anything too powerful either, as it'll be used solely with Infuse, or perhaps Kodi in the future, both of which I understand only require the files to be served up. I've seen a couple of used DS213so I might put in an offer...

DLxP Publish time 2-12-2019 05:05:44

The only remaining question I have is whether I could get away with using it in the living room, as that's the only place I can connect it directly to the router at the moment. I was looking into how much noise it would make and noticed one of your posts:

Does that mean the Synology in the same room as the one I watch TV in is a bad idea?

BobA51 Publish time 2-12-2019 05:05:45

Hi DougAP,

I'm on my 2nd Synology NAS, as Sloppy Bob said they are reliable and easy to set up, my only comment and the reason I upgraded was I found the 2 bay version limiting and after a couple of years went to a 4 bay model, which I wished I'd started with, leaving the spare bays empty until I needed them. Again I've always run mine from a remote location (Under the stairs) as there is no need to be in the same room as long as you can get network cables where you need them.

Bob

DLxP Publish time 2-12-2019 05:05:45

I suppose I could run a network cable to the router, but it would involve drilling a hole through the wall into the next room, which I'd prefer to avoid doing.

Is it so loud as to be noticeable, even when sitting in a cabinet about 2.5m away from me?

BobA51 Publish time 2-12-2019 05:05:45

Hi DougAP,
To be honest I can't comment, as never had it in same room when quiet, I pre-wired my house with network cabling so as soon as built located it under the stairs, I would say it's fairly quiet, but Sloppy Bob seems to have tried it and not been happy with the noise levels.

Hopefully there will be some other input from others using it exactly as you'd like to.

Bob

DLxP Publish time 2-12-2019 05:05:46

I suppose in reality, it won't alter my decision to buy one, as I need one. It will affect where I put it though, and whether or not I need to drill through a wall!

richardsim7 Publish time 2-12-2019 05:05:46

an HP Microserver   unRAID would be my choice...

DLxP Publish time 2-12-2019 05:05:46

Looks like I've got some reading to do then....
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
View full version: NAS for 4K + Infuse