Gryphaea Publish time 2-12-2019 05:25:23

What next for the CPU ?

Hi,
The Steam Performance test app shows me as Amber on processor performance, green on the others. Any thoughts on where i should move on to. I'm running an Index. I don't want to spend hundreds on bleeding edge technology, rather a sensible increment at the high time.

Current hardware is
Intel Core i5 6600, with 2x8G CorsairVengence LPX DDR4 3000 RED. Motherboard is Gigabyte GA-B150N-Phoenix-Wifiand GPU is the Gigabyte GTX 1080 Founders Edition

Nivek TT Publish time 2-12-2019 05:25:24

In the real world is the processor actually hampering you?

Gryphaea Publish time 2-12-2019 05:25:25

Good question. I dont Know. Something seems to bebe struggling. When an intensive game is putting the system under pressure, I am returned to the steam environment as it renders. I guess that’s what I’d like to fix. The hdd is an ssd, so I’ve been assuming that the cpu is my blocker

huxley Publish time 2-12-2019 05:25:25

What games is this happening on?

Johnmcl7 Publish time 2-12-2019 05:25:25

Does the game keep on running?Since the 1903 update (although not blaming it specifically) I've been having what sounds like a similar problem particularly in SuperHot VR where the game feels like it's stuttering badly during which time I can see into the SteamVR loading screen.What's frustrating is it used to run perfectly but never been able to narrow down the problem, I had noticed video compression problems in other games with the wireless VR which I thought might be the same cause.However I discovered the runtime broker service was spiking the CPU which I couldn't see when playing in VR, when I killed it that sorted the compression issues but it didn't sort Superhot VR.

I have an old i7 3930K (hex core with a bit of an overclock) which is an ancient CPU these days but it runs everything else well and it was running VR perfectly as well.

Gryphaea Publish time 2-12-2019 05:25:26

I’ll need to go back through the game library and see which ones are being effected. I wrote the post after playing ContagionVR. I’ve been tweaking all kinds of settings, looking for that Optimal Sweet Spot for all. Thanks all for sharing your perspectives

aoaaron Publish time 2-12-2019 05:25:27

lower settings before buying new hardware. its just not worth it. the 6600 is a good processor.
Pages: [1]
View full version: What next for the CPU ?