Author: happychappy69

Guitar thread - must be that time of year

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:32:16 Mobile | Show all posts
Late starter same as you. Started 2 years ago, at 46.

Have proper lessons, once a fortnight, justinguitar and Rocksmith

I'll second everything Bilbo said about Rocksmith, when you start especially from scratch, it can be really hard and frustrating, RS keeps it fun and makes you went to play.

Even if you don't play RS, head over to the Xbox music games section, there's loads of us of a similar age that are all levels of players, great place to come for help and encouragement
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:32:17 Mobile | Show all posts
A used Epiphone Dot (their name for the 335) should be achievable for that budget on Ebay/Gumtree. Would be easier to play than an acoustic (lighter gauge strings) & quieter too while you're hitting bum notes! Maybe see if your local store has one to try?

Do you know anyone who plays who could help you avoid buying a dud? If not, if you post your rough location, maybe a willing volunteer will stick their hand up.

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 21:32:17 Mobile | Show all posts
I agree with all Croc has to say except for the lefty bit.  I would always put the ability to play over the ability to buy.  I understand what he is saying as the options for a lefty can be very frustrating, but you have to go with what feels right.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:32:18 Mobile | Show all posts
Just basing it on how many true lefties were forced to learn RH as that's all they could get their hands on. But yes, if that's what feels more natural then go for it.

But Ebay currently has 17 Epi Dots listed in the UK of which none are lefties...

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 21:32:19 Mobile | Show all posts
Noticed this one earlier Ibanez AS73 left hand handed guitar | eBay  As rare as hen's teeth in a lefty version.  I have it's bigger brother the 103, and it's a great Dot alternative

Use magic Report

Author| 25-11-2019 21:32:20 Mobile | Show all posts
Hmm maybe a wanted ad on here could reap dividends

The ibanez that bilbo mentions is probably a no go until after Christmas, the maximum limit for my guitar is definitely my limit for a while.

I don't suppose that any of you folks are suffering from GAS and an unhappy OH

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:32:21 Mobile | Show all posts
Can't do any harm.

I do but I'm solving it by getting rid of the OH...

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:32:22 Mobile | Show all posts
You can play almost any genre of music on almost any guitar my friend and don't ever be tempted to buy a SH guitar if you don't know what you are looking for, especially an electric one, even brand new ones need attention out of the box which can be an extra cost if you aren't familiar with the hardware/set up of a guitar.

Not to confuse you anymore, just beg, steal or borrow another £20/£30 and just buy a Washburn WD10S, you will be hard pushed to find a better quality guitar for your money, it sounds warm, which will suit what you like and the sound will improve the longer you play it, it will not annoy your neighbours as the volume is controlled by you (How hard you hit the strings), you can take it anywhere to play (Not tethered to a console and TV in one room) and it will hold its value if you decide the guitar is not for you.

As you are just starting out any guitar will feel hard to play and will be frustrating but I know of people (Left handed) who learned right handed as it doesn't matter if you have never played before, it takes a little extra adjustment at first but your muscle memory doesn't know that you are playing wrong handed.

When I first started playing many many years ago I had to share a guitar with a right handed player so learned the chords up side down (I'm left handed) but now I have a LH Guitar can play chords normally but can still pick up my daughters RH guitar and play upside down chords.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:32:23 Mobile | Show all posts
Not sure about a guitar with no pick guard for an absolute beginner.

Use magic Report

Author| 25-11-2019 21:32:24 Mobile | Show all posts
Been visiting my local store today,  "music matters" in Maidstone, they do have website if any one wants a look at what's easily available to me

They "recommended" an Eko laredo or a dreadnought manufactured by Chord?

I actually quite liked the Eko, had a good weight, and sounded ok - to someone with a "tin ear", the Chord however felt quite cheap and seemed a little high pitched for such a large guitar.

Looks like I may be going further afield.

A friend of a friend is willing to go with me, for a price of a beer or two (musicians eh!) But he's primarily played on electric guitars

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部