Keep going lol
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 02:07:24 Mobile | Show all posts
If a woman was employed over a man who was more skilled for the job simply because of company politics/ demographics/ targets. I'd say its fair game she got payed less.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 02:07:25 Mobile | Show all posts
Agree with what your saying in principle
But then you enter the realms of the man being discriminated against,,,no company would admit employing someone on that criteria any more  than they would,race,age etc

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Wonder who the others were ?

i could imagine what was going through the mind of Jonathan Haskel when the story broke lol

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Women are actively discriminated against by SOME people, including other women.
We should endeavor to remove or address issues where all male selection lists are due to the discrimination of the selectors rather than the pool of candidates.

However, it is also the case that on average men and women have different traits and priorities.
Certain ideological beliefs would have you understand that this fundamentally down to social conditioning and expectations.

However, multiple actual scientific studies across many cultures and even species have provided sufficient evidence to show that this interpretation is fundamentally flawed.
Both in Chimps and in humans, if you give a baby a choice of toys without any prompting and before any potential social conditioning or expectations are able to influence them, you find:
male baby Chimps and Humans choose male centric toys and female baby Chimps and Humans favour female centric toys.

This strongly suggests that humans have some innate biological preferences dependent on their gender.

There is no doubt amongst most scientists or the population at large that our experiences and the environment we develop in has a significant impact on shaping who we are and the choices we make.
There is an argument that expectations and presumptions based on gender play a part in what environments and expectations are placed upon a individual based upon their gender.
Some people argue that these expectations are driven by cultural/social biases aimed at enforcing gender roles with references to patriarchy etc.
However, there seems to be not just a denial that there are also significant biological drivers behind our gendered choices, but also a complete lack of any thoughts or discussion on the seemingly obvious elephant in the room.
That 'elephant' being that since:

a) we shaped our cultures and societies.  
b) we are in part shaped by our biology.
c) we are in part shaped by our cultures.

That leads to the question of exactly how much of the culture that shapes us is essentially driven by the way biology has shaped the way we shape our cultures.

In simple terms, it is a denial of who and what we are as a species, as well as the evidence, to assume that because there are more of one gender represented in a particular field that is it either evidence of or automatically down to gender discrimination - or in the reverse, gender discrimination doesn't exist and therefore it can be dismissed off hand.

We should be looking at all aspects of society and the demographic distributions, however, it should not be in the hands of those who are ideologically driven to determine if and where discrimination occurs and what we should do about it.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 02:07:26 Mobile | Show all posts
I don't believe so.  Again, aware of no evidence to support that.

Again, if you were to compare male and females doing the same role I doubt you would find much of a difference - and if you did it would be no more than comparing males and males doing the same job.  I'm sure you do get people who join and negotiate a decent salary which puts them on significantly more than their male and female peers who have been with the company for some time.

But I really don't think you will find many cases of significant pay difference between male and females with the same experience and same expertise working in the same role.

Cheers,

Nigel

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 02:07:27 Mobile | Show all posts
I know of a few examples in the IT industry personally,,not saying it is like that all over but i some how don't think they are that isolated..They don't even pay the men the same for doing the same job

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 02:07:28 Mobile | Show all posts
As I said above, I've certainly seen cases were new joiners, or stronger personalities have negotiated better deals than their colleagues, male and female.

The gender gap is skewed by very senior roles being paid excessive salaries.  And I agree that they are mostly filled by men, but you have to remember that these roles are just as inaccessible to most men as they are to women.

It would make sense to strip out these roles as outliers and then do the gender gap recalculation.  I'm sure it would still come out with a gap but I don't think it would be anything like as startling.

Cheers,

Nigel

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 02:07:29 Mobile | Show all posts
As it relates to Company Board members, if you strip out the outliers will there be any Board Members left?

Use magic Report

12345Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部