Author: nabby

Surely it's time to have stricter sentences for drink-driving deaths

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 03:26:31 Mobile | Show all posts
I never said rehabilitation isn't and shouldn't be an option. I said I don't think it's/or should be a prison's primary function. Anyone who can be rehabilitated should be sure, but I'd guess 75% of people who enter our prison system probably can't even be rehabilitated.

This guy is lucky he has any chance he can be rehabilitated and/or let free, the same chance isn't available to the two teenage girls.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
So somebody gets behind the wheel whilst drunk, speeds and kills should be able to walk free with a slap on the wrist as long as they never do it again?

The sentence should be as much about a deterrent as anything else. I echo the thoughts earlier about strict mandatory sentences for drink driving.

I was on a driving course once (through work), the police officer taking the course said his colleagues used to say 'if you're ever going to top someone, do it from behind a wheel'. He was joking of course but it highlights the disparity in sentencing in our country.

Use magic Report

Its whats going on in his head now that matters .I am sure he is probably disgusted with himself and scared .Life after Prison will not be easy .The Media will be all over it again and he will find it hard to get work etc . "Its going to stick" with him for the rest of his life .

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
If you think it's just "a slap on the wrist" why don't you do it?

Spend some time in prison or be caught drinking and driving.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Absolutely 100% agree that it should be about punishment and deterrent first and foremost.

Yes, of course try to rehabilitate them but you need to get the balance right and, imo, there is absolutely nothing wrong with punishment. If people knew they'd get longer sentances I'm quite sure a lot would think twice before recklessly endangering the lives of others. If someone takes another's life they should, imo, lose an amount of their own freedom reflective to that of which they robbed their victim. I also believe that people shouldn't be compelled to forgive in situations like this. Whether they decide to or not should be entitely of their own choosing and accepted without question.

It's the same for many serious crimes though and the problem seems to stem from lack of prison space.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 03:26:32 Mobile | Show all posts
I never said they should not go to prison but that i would prefer prisons to focus on rehabilitation. That way society is safer in the long run. How is putting this guy away for an extra  14yrs helping society? Do you honestly think he would have sat there and thought that 6yrs in prison was worth the risk but 20yrs would not be? So how would a longer sentence have been a deterrent?
I see forgiveness as more of a benefit to the victim than the perpetrator anyway. It can not be healthy mentally to be sat there angry with someone for the rest of your life. Surely forgiving and moving forward has to be better?  Does not mean you have to forget or like the person but sitting there angry and resentful helps no one and just destroys another life.
Also when i talk about rehabilitation I do not mean they just say they will not do it again. I mean a complete change in the person so they no longer are a threat to society.
Also as above, this person's punishment is not going to end when he comes out of prison. His life will be adversely affected from now on in terms of getting a job, friends, family etc.
In these cases no one wins. The victims are obvious losers but the offender has also lost everything too although you could say it was their own fault. A 6yr jail sentence is hardly a win is it and how would increasing it to 20yrs help? It does not bring the victims back. Maybe when this guy comes out he will have time to put something back into society. It can not make up for the loss he has created but least better than rotting in a cell which ultimately costs society.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Six years, but out in three is a total slap in the face to the parents of those girls. We should rehabilitate this guy and we should have twenty years minimum to do it. If it were your daughters, I think you'd playing a totally different tune

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
It is appalling.  Everybody knows drink driving is a big no in society as attitudes have changed.

This guy should never ever have had a sentence so lenient.  It's not even a soap on the wrist.  It's a holiday in our prison system.

He should serve a minimum of 20 years and that is not out in 10.

I can't believe some people think it's ok as it was his first mistake or whatever.

He took 2 lives, and it wasn't on the battlefield.  It's absolutely disgusting that he got such a lenient sentence.  His mum must've been the judge in the case.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
The average sentence in the UK for causing death by dangerous driving is just four years, according to a report by the road safety charity.

Also, one third of drivers who kill and maim avoid jail altogether.

According to gov.uk: causing death by careless driving when under the influence of drink you may get:
14 years imprisonment
An unlimited fine
A ban from driving for at least 2 years
An extended driving test before your licence is returned

How does that tie-in with those who seek retribution?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I don't know why you think my post was directed at you but seeing as you addressed me directly I'll reply.

You read between the lines and jump to conclusions - putting words in peoples mouths to back up your views.

I never suggested a specific length of sentence. I said it should be relative to the crime. And not forgiving someone doesn't automatically mean carrying anger - it means not forgiving and nothing more.

You talk as if rehabilitation works full stop but prisons are full of repeat offenders. In your world there would be people running around committing crimes knowing full well there are people like yourself, lobbying to let them off lightly and rehabilitate them - treat them with the humanity they so callously disregard towards others.

I'm all for destroying part of the perpetrators life. That's holding them accountable for their actions.

I wholeheartedly disagree with your softly softly approach and, imo, unrealistic idealist take on life - in reality such perfect ideals simply don't play out. And I completely agree that you would very unlikely stick to it if something like this affected you.

Use magic Report

123456Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部