Back New
Author: Looney14

RING DOORBELL PRO - can I use a plug? or need transformer?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 21:18:59 Mobile | Show all posts
I will pass on giving advise on how to install. I have no idea of your competency (nor of your friend who is fairly comfortable with electrics). I would not feel comfortable if someone got hurt, especially as you intend to dabble inside a CU.

You need design your new install, carry out safe isolation, test it with suitable test equipment, certify and then notify your local building control.

Whilst BS7671 is not statutory, Part P Building Regulations are. Most seem to ignore this, but if your friend did electrocute you or a family member, then someone would have some answers to give.

Do yourself a favour and get some more quotes. I don't mean to be offensive, but sometimes the truth can be harsh.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 1-12-2019 21:19:00 Mobile | Show all posts
I appreciate that

Would you atleast be able to advise what type
Of doorbell cable is required though?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
thanks all for your help!

my friend and i managed to do it all

for anybody in the future that has  no existing doorbell and space on the consumer unit

- 6 amp breaker plus ring's transformer installed on the CU
- used the bypass kit they give too (this regulates it all)
- their support phone number are helpful can send diagrams for install if needed etc
- https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjb6cCI7tzjAhWJme0KHcNuCWAYABADGgJkZw&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAASEuRoM_1yMVqaMXu7piFLtMKEKg&sig=AOD64_0_8_N8s-dH_IlquazFzQu0DOQDCQ&ctype=46&q=&ved=0ahUKEwjekLuI7tzjAhWFQEEAHSgQBLQQ9aACCEk&adurl=

this was the bell wire i used

had 30 volts on when we tested via his multi meter
need 8-24v it said.

all working well so far

Use magic Report

1-12-2019 21:19:00 Mobile | Show all posts
For anyone interested... Ring now has an official UK power adapter for the Ring Pro.

Plug-In Adapter for Ring Video Doorbell Pro                                                                                                        Power your Ring Video Doorbell Pro from a standard UK socket.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                en-uk.ring.com

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Wow thanks!!

I actually got an electrician to hard wire it to consumer unit just last month this would have Ben lot cheaper lol

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 21:19:00 Mobile | Show all posts
some info on my experience installing a ring pro - replaced a wired doorbell - home built 1980

just got my Ring Pro working after several hours of struggling with it.
I bought a ring 1 on prime day last year.....after researching i returned it to Ring plus paid another $99 for Ring Prodecided to upgrade my doorbell transformer before starting based on research- original was 40 years old - hard to find in a basement joist, easy to replace $20.didn't know that DC doorbell chimes are not compatible - not in any literature in the Pro box - so when i hooked up everything my chimes rang continuously.did some research and called Ring Cust Support and based on their advice bought a digital chime on the approved list - Hampton Bay from Home Depot $45.installed and it chimed continuously, no straight answers from Ring Customer support except to ask me to send them pics of my wires.....i realize that would be a waste of time.Returned the new 'Ring compatible' doorbell and bought a Ring Chime - have to plug it in but i figured it would would work best with the pro.Ring Customer support gave me bypass instructions that did not work / did not make sense / could tell they were basically reading a script.Ring Customer support after 5 calls and 5 strikeouts is limited in their ability so i had to just do some trial and error.I hooked up my old doorbell and wired it the same as before - put the ring power pack on the doorbell - not on the transformer, did not do any bypass stuff they recommend, however i did not put the diode that was used for my old doorbell button back on the ring pro.After 8 hours all together i got everything to work - its not easy but i guess every house is different - doesn't help when cust service can't tell you why the approved doorbells ring continuously.so i have a new Ring Pro, new transformer, new Ring Chime - video seems really clear, so far so good....hopefully this will help someone else.

Use magic Report

Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部