View: 365|Reply: 2

Best solution for 3-4 wifi access points and switching between them?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:48:16 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Hi,

I'm looking to install a number of WIFI access points and I'm keen for the wifi devices to switch to the strongest AP rather than hang onto the last one.

I did some research last year and found Ubiquiti to be great at this. Is this still the case?

Any other brands which are particularly good at this?

Thanks

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:48:17 Mobile | Show all posts
It is important to understand that basically it is the client device that decides if/when to roam to another AP, not "the system" - though some of the newer protocols and kit have a kind of "hint" mechanism that can suggest to a client that it "might do better with AP X" - though not all clients support this and they are not compelled to "take the hint" in any case.

As ever with IT, there's exceptions and variations on this theme (there's a huge amount of "options" in the Wi-Fi standards and they have been evolving greatly over the last couple of decades) but if one accepts the basic premise as I've descried, then you'll understand if your shiny new AP's are not working as well as you might hope if it doesn't live up to your expectations. Some of Apple's older clients were notorious for doggedly hanging on the their incumbent AP, no matter how "bad" it got, even though there were better alternates available. It is "Big Wi-Fi Myth Number 2" that clients are always "hunting for the best signal" - they do not.

That said, some of the newer "whole home" and pro-sumer type system probably give you a better chance as AP's in such offerings are more like enterprise equipment in that the AP's "talk" to each other (and/or a management platform) to share information about who can "hear"  which client the best, what the traffic loadings are like and so forth in order to try and figure out where best to direct any given client and pre-stage the roaming hand-offs to speed them up a bit (though they are already pretty fast.) In older stand-alone and non-integrated kit, the AP's don't talk to each other in any meaningful way.

Unfortunately, one cannot simply rely on a brand name to be an indicator of such functionality - one needs to get into the datasheets (and ideally the manuals) in advance of purchase and see what they offer.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:48:18 Mobile | Show all posts
In terms of management, Ubiquiti make it easy to configure your APs from a central point. Indeed once you have the basics configured, SID, encryption etc, adding another AP is as simple as turning it on and approving it.

I find the Unifi AP platform very solid in terms of reliability and uptime, although I wasn't so keen on the USG. I don't remember having to reboot an AP to fix something. Much better than all-in-one wireless routers which vary massively when it comes to stability and reliability.

As Mick says, the roaming ability is by and large the same whether you use Ubiquiti or some other vendor. Or indeed a mix of vendors. I can confirm that I've had no issues roaming between 3 APs in my house.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部