View: 474|Reply: 7

2 Ethernet switches?

[Copy link]
2-12-2019 05:00:58 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Ok.... this is quite tricky to explain.....

I had my Home set up perfectly, and then ordered sky q. Which was installed today.

One major problem is that sky Q’s super dooper router only has 2 Ethernet ports instead of the 4 that the old sky hd router had.

My old setup was as follows.....

2 Ethernet cables straight from the router, up through the ceiling to my box room and into an Xbox one, and a PS4.

A 3rd cable from the router... round the door, tacked along skirtings.... which went into an Ethernet switch/hub thingy, lol. This then allowed me to run another few ethernets... into my sky box, my wdtv live streamer, and up to my sons bedroom to his Xbox.

The big problem I have now is... out of the two ports on this new router, one has to absolutely be the cable that runs to the Ethernet switch/hub as described above. I then have one space left, but have the two consoles in my box room as described above.

My DIY is terrible, so it’s not an option to just run an Ethernet from the switch/hub by the tv to the console that’s left out.

SO......

My question is.....

Can I use the second space on my router to use the existing Ethernet cable going to box room and have that going into yet another Ethernet hub/switch.... and from that, then run two short Ethernet cables to either console.

So to sum up... i would have a router... with 2 Ethernet cables coming from it, and both would lead into an Ethernet switch/hub. Which would then distribute accordingly.

Would this impact on performance?

Sorry if I’m not clear on anything. I’ve tried! Lol

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:00:59 Mobile | Show all posts
Yes.

Technically, yes, but it's so small you'll be hard pushed to measure it, let alone "notice" the difference in normal use.

If you are buying a new switch, I would buy a 10/100/1000 (AKA Gigabit) capable switch as the cost difference compared to 10/100 switches is minimal these days.

Alternatively, if you still have your old router in hand, you could repurpose that - the "LAN" ports in a SOHO are an ethernet switch. So doing would also avail an additional Wi-Fi AP (there's one built into the router) in the same locale which could possibly improve your Wi-Fi experience in the box room locale. If you don't want the extra Wi-Fi hotspot, you can usually turn it off in SOHO routers.

There's a few hoops to jump through in order to re-purpose your old router as a switch or switch/AP combo, but it's not terribly difficult - how to do so is described in the "Using Two Routers Together" FAQ pinned in this forum.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 05:01:00 Mobile | Show all posts
Thank you for your help, it’s very much appreciated.

I have the full on fibre experience. My line syncs at 79mb down and 20mb up.

So hopefully the minute performance hit you mention, my network would cope with anyway.

I’ve attached 2 pictures... one is the switch I have... says gigabit on the front, and the other picture is the one I’ll order, if you reckon it’d be ok. Lol.

Once again, cheers for your help m8!                                                                                                                                                       

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:01:00 Mobile | Show all posts
Don't forget your new switch will need a mains socket for it's power supply.

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 05:01:00 Mobile | Show all posts
Yes, that’s no problem... can get that easily plugged in in the box room. Then just run my 2 short Ethernet cables to the consoles.

That one will be ok yes?

Again thanks pal.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I don't know that device, but the brand has a reasonable reputation. There's very little to "get wrong" in the design of a basic ethernet switch. I don't think I've ever heard of one that simply "didn't work."

Use magic Report

A switch will either work (if it's OK) or not work (if it's faulty), so you can't really go wrong.

There is no problem having switches connected to both LAN ports on your new router.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Sorry, would you mind if I jump in here with my question. As NinjaMonkeyUK says they either work or not. I have a ethernet switch to serve my TV and CCTV units. Recently I have been getting a message on the TV LAN cable disconnected. I have rebooted the router and all goes fine until the next time. I have noticed now that the lights on the switch are racing across the unit but I can still use the internet, does this indicate the switch might be faulty? Hope you don't mind me using this  blog.

Regards

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部