Back New
Author: Such

Which cable to connect 1Gb socket to modem router

[Copy link]
2-12-2019 05:02:16 Mobile | Show all posts
Usually, you cannot use the ISP provided routers as routers only unless they accept a 3rd party firmware and even then it might not work correctly.  Much more likely that it can support modem only mode as you already know.

Is it a eduroam Wi-Fi network?  Echo does not support WPA2-Enterprise in the "home" version and so won't authenticate.  However I say "home" version as it appears that Amazon support WPA2-Enterprise for businesses so I might look into that as I would like to see if I get it working too.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 05:02:16 Mobile | Show all posts
spot on it is a eduroam network. I'm not going down there for a while to try a fix, so if you do come up with one please share.
Thanks

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:02:17 Mobile | Show all posts
Be sure to understand that things like "router" "modem" "access point" have specific meaning in the field of data networking - "routing" has nothing to do with Wi-Fi, it's just that in a SOHO "get-you-on-the-Internet" omni-box, router, (Wi-Fi) Access Point, modem, et al are packaged in the same box. (Incidentally, as SOHO modem/router does not become a "modem only" just by "saying so" - it needs a specific "modem only" operating mode in it's UI.)

In a SOHO "modem router" with A/VDSL Internet connection, the "routing" happens between the WAN/Internet port and everything else. If you don't connect anything to the WAN/Internet port and connect up using a LAN port, then your router isn't doing any "routing" (or firewalling, or NAT translating) at all as no traffic passes through it's routing engine therein. But that could be fine, if...

You can use a "crippled" SOHO router as a combination Wi-Fi Access Point and ethernet switch as described in the aforementioned "Using Two Routers Together" FAQ. That FAQ also has a block diagram of a SOHO router attached showing how all the constituent parts hang together (at least conceptually.)

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 05:02:18 Mobile | Show all posts
I’ll have a read....

Use magic Report

Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register