Sonic67 Publish time 26-11-2019 01:40:10

I prefer to use reputable establishedtaxi firms which are being pushed out of business by Uber. I have a mate who's a local taxi driver. Not Uber. He's been hit by them.

Why would I support something I don't agree with?
Again. Black cab drivers have a lot more to lose. So do ordinary cab drivers. This undercuts everyone. I don't agree with a business that has people at the top making millions and people at the bottom not even getting minimum wage until action was taken. It drives others out of business.

You do realise there's a lot more involved in getting the license to drive a black cab?

So they are less likely to share the badge or be an illegal.

Also regarding checks generally our local council checked its social workers. The check was done by a council employee who checked the things like passport, utility bills, whatever.

Then there was the criminal records check. That was done by passing on the information to a government department.

Some social workers who were freelance but working temporarily for councils would pay for a private organisation to do the check. These private organisations might be fine. Might be. It could be a guy on minimum wage checking the ID. The guy might be open to bribery. He might not, but he might know what an EU passport looks like as he has one.

He might have no idea what a genuine Kenyan passport looked like. He might have hundreds of people to see. Either way the council's view was, "cheers for getting it done private but we will do it as well anyway."

Why would the council do that? Perhaps they didn't trust others? Why?

Bl4ckGryph0n Publish time 26-11-2019 01:40:11

I don’t quite get why you keep on bringing in unrelated points. Or then again as you mate is a taxi driver hit hard by this it shouldn’t come as a surprise.

My point was regarding the cash industry which you now seem to ignore.

And no there isn’t more involved in becoming licenses by TfL. It’s the same for all. I’ve already provided the links for that.

Naturally it is your prerogative not to you any particular company, but please let’s be honest about why you choose that and not bring in items that Taxi cab drivers love to say but simply isn’t factual nor can be evidenced.

marcd5123 Publish time 26-11-2019 01:40:11

Well all of London voted for khan so you are getting what you voted for btw!!Stop complain I live in West London and voted for Zac Goldsmith so because the rest of you votes for khan I said this this a year or so ago the rest of us will suffer and as ussal in a few years time Tory Mayor will have to clean up labour mess   what new their.. I rest my case

Enki Publish time 26-11-2019 01:40:12

Boris Garden bridge and Zac doing an impersonation of Enoch Powell I'm not getting the case.

rancidpunk Publish time 26-11-2019 01:40:13

Hey, that was fabulously rewarding. For Arup, and others, who got paid some £13 million to show Boris pretty pictures of his ridiculous vanity project.

marcd5123 Publish time 26-11-2019 01:40:14

Borris Johnson was an excellent Mayor for London and I'll stand my ground on that dont care what people say he was the perfect package for our wonderful city and we in my belief will not get another man like him again. He was not perfect no was Ken Livingston and to be fair he also did alot of good but overall Borris had that effect both londerners like my self loved it and also the tourists which spend alot of money in out city which we need so the perfect package in my book. Juat voicing my opinion..

rancidpunk Publish time 26-11-2019 01:40:15

Yes, you certainly seem like his number one fan

/proxy.php?image=http://www.myhorribleidea.com/uploads/2/6/5/5/26555197/3678827_orig.jpg&hash=85448784270b2d6582018b91503ee3c2

Pacifico Publish time 26-11-2019 01:40:16

over 400,000 have now signed the petition condemning the move is less than one day - seems like Mr Khans holiday period may be over..

Sonic67 Publish time 26-11-2019 01:40:16

I don't get why you are so desperately defending Uber. I really don't.

I suspect it's nothing more than not liking Sadiq. If it helps he has had Farage's backing on Uber for years.

Two years ago:

Nigel Farage hits out atLondon's Uber drivers

Recently

Uber Driver Tells Nigel Farage The Company Should Be “Shut Down” - LBC

Boris Johnson

Boris Johnson says Uber drivers break the law 'in lots of minor ways'

Then got told to wind his neck in by Cameron.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/technology/2017/apr/13/data-watchdog-no-10-cameron-uber-correspondence-regulation

Subscribe to read
?

I bought it up in the first place regarding PIRA and money laundering...
Ok let's be honest.

It's the reasons I've already given...

Uber is just average IT and excellent lawyers.
I'm not happy with the checks on Uber drivers. I'm not happy with a system that made those at the top rich while those at the bottom were being paid below minimum wage as the claim was they were self employed.
Uber is supporting dodgy drivers and dodgy practices with a whole raft of criminal charges laid against them.
I'm not happy at something that was driving out ordinary working businesses.
My first post was regarding something I'd heard discussed on the radio. Black cabs could cater for disabled people. Uber couldn't. Uber was affecting them. I always think it's possible anyone of us could end up disabled.
Uber is globally unpopular.
This is the same thing with Just Eat. Someone creates an app and gets rich. If you book takeaways through Just Eat they take a large cut. The restaurant has to take the loss. I'd rather deal direct with take aways and taxi firms by just using Google Maps to see what's near then call direct.

Bl4ckGryph0n Publish time 26-11-2019 01:40:17

I think you really misunderstand me. I’m not defending Uber at all. I’ve been very clear about it that if they break the rules they better get their act together.

However as I’ve demonstrated with clear links to TfL for the points that you brought up that is simply not true. Not sure why you see that are defending Uber. There is no difference in who issues the license or who checks the drivers that is in accordance with the rules from and by TfL.

And you really seem to be missing the point regarding cash business vs a fully traceable electronic transaction.

But I’m not defending Uber, I simply find it annoying how the taxi cab drivers prefer to distribute fake news opposed to get their act together and face the competition. All that happened now is that it opened the market place for another competitor like Uber.

Ps. You can order a black Taxi if you prefer it as a wheelchair user. Or order Uber XL. Or Addison Lee. There is choice.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
View full version: Uber in London