View: 84|Reply: 0

Far better than average love story

[Copy link]
22-4-2020 00:30:10 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Angela Bassett was, of course, well-known by the time she made this film, and here she proved once again why she is one of America's better actresses. But the real story here was the film debut of Taye Diggs. As an old white guy, I first saw this film when it premiered on cable, and I thought Diggs was certain to become a popular actor. Now, 25 films later, not to mention an active career on prime time television, Diggs has become just that -- a fine and respected actor with a captivating on-screen persona that just always seems to work.

Here it's the 21 year old Jamaican fellow who seduces (and I mean that in the best sense) the 40 year old businesswoman from San Francisco. The romance sizzles, despite reservations, while Whoopi Goldberg provides a bit of light-hearted comedy. The question, of course, is whether the age difference will divide two people in love. And the film does keep you guessing as to which possible ending it will be.

Diggs' character's last name here is Shakepeare, and while this film hardly reaches the level of a Shakespearean tale, it's engaging, romantic, and great fun. But that doesn't mean it's all love and roses. True love never is, and meanwhile Whoopi's character is dying. So this is not just another feel good movie; there's some drama here, including making a relationship with a diversity of ages work.

I give this film much higher marks than the overall rating here. It's easily worth a "7".

score 7/10

vincentlynch-moonoi 29 September 2014

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw3095779/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部