123456Next
Back New
Author: When In Rome

The Ashes. 1st Test

[Copy link]
22-11-2019 04:56:52 Mobile | Show all posts
I've played cricket at a decent level and even where you absolutely despised an opposition batsman (and there were more than a few that I gave dogs abuse to (aka sledged)), anyone who scored a hundred/played an exceptional innings always received a handshake and a 'well played' or similar comment.
Same with bowlers - 5/6  wicket haul or a brilliant spell would always be acknowledged at tea/the end of the game as applicable.
Cricket really is a 'hate on the field, respect off it' type of game: I've been sledged incessantly for hours (when I was lucky enough to bat that long) and with only very few exceptions we would always sit down for a drink, chat and joke after the game.
We'd even "exchange each other's sledges" in the reverse fixture to add to the fun; only time it got messy was when the sledging went too far (i.e. overly personal, racist, homophobic etc.); I'm sure the England players 'reminded' Smith of his indiscretion more than once, but they still applauded him when he reached three figures.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

BTW I'm with you - neither Wade nor Head should be anywhere near a test team, just reinforces the lack of good Australian batsmen beyond Warner, Smith and Paine.

Use magic Report

Pattinson looks like a real meat head doesn't he?  Shane Watson wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer but Pattinson may well take things to a new level.

Head and Wade bowling to eat up overs?  Shows how a four man attack hurts you on those 'long days', and why Stokes makes such a difference to the balance of the England side.

Use magic Report

Author| 22-11-2019 04:56:53 Mobile | Show all posts
Spot on there. I hope you enjoyed your day.

Use magic Report

Author| 22-11-2019 04:56:53 Mobile | Show all posts
Sums it up for me. Maybe that's what I struggle with - why is one gentile and one thuggish?

Wasn't yesterday proper test cricket? Was listening on DAB at the beach. And already Burns' century is far better than Smiths'.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
22-11-2019 04:56:53 Mobile | Show all posts
Not the most riveting day to be honest. Burns played a proper old school test innings and the Aussies bowled well considering there was nothing in the pitch. Stokes looked the best of all the batsmen, he was in total control.

Today is the pivotal day I think.

Use magic Report

22-11-2019 04:56:54 Mobile | Show all posts
It was like an old school day of test cricket; strike rate under 50 and 'proper' batting (Boycott would have loved it).

The psychological/mental aspect of cricket gets overlooked - 11 fielders v 2 batters is an unusual ratio, it thus relies heavily on partnerships (i.e. you help our your batting partner when he is struggling; you support the bowler at the other end etc.) and hence why the fielding side attempt to make the batters as uncomfortable as possible: it can feel pretty lonely out there fronting up to 11 opponents.

Some of the mind games are very subtle - slow the game down, speed it up, sledge one batsman and be 'pleasant' to the other, sledge both, go completely silent, only talk to certain other fielders, sledge one of your own fielders, constantly move one fielder to 'weird' positions, etc.

I once wore odd gloves and odd shoes when keeping wicket, every batsman noticed and asked why - at that point I've disturbed their concentration (which is the point of the mind games) so I'm on the 'offensive' from there on in.

Favourite sledge - "he's so bad if he fell off a boat he wouldn't hit water", quickly followed by the other batsman getting "if this guy fell off a camel he wouldn't hit sand".

Once got a severe reprimand for "its like watching a blind man attacking a rat with a stick".

Use magic Report

Author| 22-11-2019 04:56:54 Mobile | Show all posts
Root and Bairstow coming under fire there. But whatever happens next (and of course I hope it pisses down tomorrow), 122 for EIGHT... it's not really about Australia this, 122 for EIGHT - I'm sorry, I don't care WHO you're playing, not to skittle them for 150 and let them back into the game, a game which they could now WIN is totally unforgivable.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
22-11-2019 04:56:55 Mobile | Show all posts
Going again tomorrow - fully expect to see the game ending in a bore draw. There’s nothing in the pitch. England deserve all the stick they will get if they lose this.

Use magic Report

Author| 22-11-2019 04:56:55 Mobile | Show all posts
Full credit to the Australians for showing the English batsmen that you CAN still bat sensibly on this pitch. England's Edgbaston fortress is seriously under threat now. I barely ever envisage England being capable of batting a whole day when under such scrutiny and pressure in attempting to save a game. No doubt Australia deserve to win this one - but will they? I don't think the weather can come to England's rescue - the forecast is for any showers to die out around 9am and then it is set fair.

Mooen Ali's test career figures against Australia are rotten, 19 wickets at 67 apiece. Mind-boggling how he got the gig here. Leach might have been a far wiser choice.

Use magic Report

123456Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部