View: 102|Reply: 0

A movie that doesn't do justice to the man.

[Copy link]
22-11-2019 06:41:25 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
James Brown was a superstar. An artist well ahead of his time, who still tops the list of most sampled musicians to this day with music he made 40-50 years ago!! I mean you play "Sex machine" at any party and it still rocks a quiet audience.

The point of all this is, that when you are making a movie about such a great artist, a music icon, the movie should aim at being at least mildly good. But this movie was far from that. It's mediocre at best! I am not sure whether it is a personal thing, but there was something I just disliked about the actor who impersonates him and that didn't help. I just didn't feel the guy was James Brown. Ali was portrayed beautifully by Will Smith for instance and he made the character believable. But this guy, I don't know… Plus, on several occasions he stopped to look at the camera to "speak to us". That was unnecessary, an absolute pain and a pace breaker. But the one thing that I disliked the most was the constant going back and forth in time. We start in the eighties, then we are in the sixties, then we find ourselves in the thirties, then the seventies again, back to the thirties. An absolute mess that went on throughout the movie. What was the point of all that?

In any case, I love James Brown, and to me his music is what really matters. I wasn't expecting a mind-blowing cinematographic experience, and it sure wasn't one. So, I guess I'll just go home and play some of his songs and that'll help erase the movie from my mind.

score 5/10

santiagocosme 26 December 2014

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw3148797/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部