View: 86|Reply: 0

Time for a mindless reboot

[Copy link]
21-11-2019 06:21:57 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
score 3/10

I'm sort of wandering how old a movie has to be when they decide that it is time for a remake. Well, I'm actually thinking that it is getting less and less the further we progress because I'm sure that the Angeline Jolie Tomb Raiders were only out a few years ago. In fact, when I first saw the advertisements for this instalment a part of me thought that it was just Angelina reprising her role, only to be rather baffled when I discovered that Lara Croft was actually being played by a completely different actress. In fact, it became quite clear when I watched the preview a second time (as I wasn't really paying attention the first time I saw it) that I realised it was a reboot.
Honestly, I'm not all that sure why it is I go and watch these movies because as it turned out this one was pretty bad. Well, not really, but I certainly wasn't able to get into it. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that really enjoy these films, but all I can say is that it is basically unoriginal. Okay, it is a reboot, and reboots are never original, but then again they never end up being all that successful either, especially when the original was so much better. Actually, I sometimes wonder why Hollywood insists on rebooting and remaking successful films when it is quite clear that it rarely, if ever, works.
Okay, it has been a while since I've seen the original Lara Croft film, and it also seems that I never got around to writing a review for it either, so it makes it difficult to compare. However, here we start off with Lara as a bicycle courier in London, and she seems to forever be getting herself into trouble. Well, once again it is the story of the abandoned child since her father went off on an adventure seven years ago and is now presumed dead. So, Lara decides that she might as well sign the papers, only to discover a piece to a puzzle that sends her on a round the world adventure.
As I said, it is difficult to compare the two films since in this one it seems as if she is a bit of a newbie when it comes to adventuring, and it is the hunting down her father plotline (which a part of me believes that was the original film as well). In a way, I thought that maybe she would have been a bit more skilful, though I guess that would make it a little unrealistic as it is also supposed to be a coming of age type of film, and in another sense a passing on the baton.
There were a few interesting plot points as well, namely because it deals with a legendary Japanese queen known as the Death Queen, and we are all led to believe that she is an evil sorceress who was banished to an island and imprisoned in a tomb because she was, well, so evil. However, the hint is dropped that legends aren't always what they seem to be, though that does not necessarily mean that they are completely false. In fact the truth behind the legend may be much more fantastic.
Still, this is probably not a film that I would be going out of my way to recommend. It was okay, but in the end nothing that really stands out. I guess it is probably more like one of those mindless films that you watch when you really don't want to think, and have basically watched all of the Indiana Jones films to death, but still want something that is of the same style. Sure, Indiana Jones is just way too hard to beat, sometimes it is good to have something that is a little different (though you generally know what is going to happen at the end). I should mention that they have left the film open to a sequel.

david-sarkies 18 March 2018

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw4095315/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部