An Experience of a Lifetime

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
21-11-2019 07:40:26 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
score 9/10

Of the top, my all time favourite superhero movie is the 1989 Batman, and my second favourite was the 1994 Alec Baldwin superhero movie "The Shadow" (the other ones seem to lack a certain formula that doesn't appeal to me very well).

Not trying to be picky, but for a superhero film to work, isn't quite necessarily based on the excitement, the colours, the special gift our hero possesses or the colourful villains. It's fundamental priority is centered around the person behind the costume, the humanly characteristics our hero portrays. That in itself lures me into watching superhero action films. The superhero persona is only the frosting on the cake as to what drives the person behind the goals the character wishes to accomplish and the tactics he/she possesses and the dangers they encounter along the way of their quests.

"Iron Man" is an inspiration of how superhero movies should be made. The man behind the robot, Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) suit represent raw emotion, real characterizations and a drive behind his motives. In addition to that, he is fun-loving, intelligent with just the right amount of quirkiness that is over-blown serious or overly silly.

A great trait about the movie is that it isn't forced or rushed into the action scenes right away. "Iron Man" starts with the story behind Tony Stark and gradually it builds up the action. That way, it makes room for more further development as the story progresses. We can easily observe the dilemmas that Tony Stark is faced with and what he plans t do to overcome the obstacles that are upstaging him.

Unlike other superhero films with cheesy dialog, in "Iron Man" the acting is surprisingly excellent. Downey is born to play this complex character, and succeeds rather well with his usual wit and low-key acting. It is by far the best I've seen since Michael Keaton in "Batman" and that was almost 20 years ago. His Tony Stark and the hardships he faces is convincing enough to sympathize with.

Gwyneth Paltrow turns in another compelling performance as Tony Stark's loyal aide Pepper Potts. She provides a certain kind of charm and kindness that isn't just the female lead. Her facial expressions of concern and bewilderment speak more volumes than her voice (though her dialog was excellent too).

Terrence Howard shines as Col. Rhodes, but I would've liked him to have more air time and better interactions between him and Stark, that might be my only criticism there. Plus Jeff Bridges is wonderful as the villain Obadiah Stane.

The special effects are amazingly stunning in a way that it doesn't usurp the dialog like in many superhero moves. It succeeds in it being even balanced and avoids the cheese factor immensely.

Last year I went to the theaters expecting to see another cheap-thrilling superhero action blockbuster, boy it was one of those rare moments where I was glad I was wrong. It was everything I ever hoped for in a superhero movie. Especially the development of the man behind the suit rather than the Iron Man himself. Stay tuned next year folks, the long-awaited sequel is coming soon. Get your tickets while they last. Get that camera rolling Jon Favreau.

eric262003 20 April 2009

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw2055301/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部