123Next
Back New
View: 571|Reply: 23

Tyre pressure monitoring sensors TPMS

[Copy link]
24-11-2019 22:36:53 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Question alot of cars come with these now am i right in saying its an MOT failure if the light is on? is there any way you can just get rid of all the sensors and the system and just go back to normal tyre valves as the whole thing is  needless and expensive ?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 22:36:53 Mobile | Show all posts
Manufacturer-fitted TPMS might be an expensive option, and as they're not mandatory I see no issue with removing the sensors. You'll need a tyre fitter to change the valves over since the sensors are inside the tyre. And keep the sensors to pass on to future owners.
I bought a TPMS set, internal sensors and receiver/display, for the massive cost of £6.99 - delivered from the Far East.
I'd already had my car's alloys stripped for refurbishing, and once done and new tyres bought, the sensors and tyres were fitted.
My dad's Ford Edge has them already fitted, the pressures are displayed via the infotainment centre, which I suspect would show an error if any sensors were missing, that might be as bad a situation as a fault.

You remember that 'advice' to check your oil, coolant and tyre pressures regularly and before a long journey?
TPMS makes part of that much easier.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 22:36:54 Mobile | Show all posts
I thought TPMS was mandatory on cars manufactured from 2014 onwards in the UK.

I would rather cars were fitted with more useful features, like blind spot indicators that I've had on some US cars.

Use magic Report

Author| 24-11-2019 22:36:54 Mobile | Show all posts
I managed 25 years of driving without any of this tyre pressure sensor nonsense. Its a stealth tax

I check oil, water, coolant, battery and  tyre pressures regularly like everyone should

Use magic Report

Author| 24-11-2019 22:36:55 Mobile | Show all posts
I hate the fact that as each sensor has a little battery in them than runs out after 5 or so years you then have to pay to get each tyre taken off the rim at £25 a time plus the cost of a new sensor which can be up to £50 a sensor then youve got to get the fault code cleared off you car. all because of something that had built in obsolescence its a right scam

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 22:36:55 Mobile | Show all posts
It's a safety system. Modern low profile tyres don't feel that different to drive on even if they lose 60% of their air, but the tyres is flexing more, leading to the possibility of an explosive blowout due to overheating. Very few people check tyre pressures daily or even weekly, so the system does it for you.

If you get a puncture while driving, the system will warn you before the tyre fails in many cases, giving you time to safely stop.

Unfortunately people don't see the benefit of safety systems until they need them. I remember some idiot posting on here looking for a van without ABS, as it "Was something else to go wrong". The reality is that if you remove or defeat any safety system, you are increasing risk for all road users and if you do have an incident, you could be held accountable.

Use magic Report

I had a Tpms light go on in the fast lane of the motorway. I immediately slowed down and went in the slow lane. I carried on at 50mph as the car felt fine and I had run on flats. When I pulled over I could see I had a flat. Only time light has gone on in four years but may have saved an accident (big or small) so I’m glad I had it

Use magic Report

If it is it does not need to by sensors to read the actual tyre pressure.  Audi have two one that is most common in the uk works off the ABS system and detect changes in rolling circumference I.e, the speed of the individual wheel.

The other does measure the actual tyre pressure.  Why would you want to remove them? I would actually prefer the latter so I don’t have to check the pressure as frequently.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 22:36:56 Mobile | Show all posts
are you sure there are sensors,some tpms use the abs sensors.

what make of vehicle..

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 22:36:56 Mobile | Show all posts
Ford use the sensors built onto the back of the valve. A PITA, as they eventually corrode and you get a slow puncture. Had this twice on Fords when they get to about 2 years old.

Use magic Report

123Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部