123Next
Back New
Author: CraigofScotland

Had a motorbike lesson today, kit advice pls

[Copy link]
 Author| 24-11-2019 22:39:56 Mobile | Show all posts
Not sure tbh, was looking at SV's and bandits.  Dont know.  No experience of either, just going by reviews and also how easily I can get parts for them fairly cheaply.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 22:39:57 Mobile | Show all posts
Both good bikes. My mum had a Bandit and I used to enjoy it as a fun alternative to my cruiser at the time.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 22:39:57 Mobile | Show all posts
All good advice here, BIG  1 on the earplugs too

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 22:39:58 Mobile | Show all posts
I too agree with the comments above and as a wise man once said to me, you only get one heed. Don’t go only by sharp ratings for a helmet as it might have 5 stars, but it doesn’t fit worth a hoot. Same goes with reviews, as a quiet one for someone is very noisey for next person. This is the only item you MUST buy new. There is lots of really good kit about and to find the shape that best fits your head, you need to spend a bit of time at your local accessory/bike shop. Whilst there, try their clothing to get an idea of your size. Make a note of the makes and sizes that fit you. The Italian stuff can be a neat fit compared to other brands. When I started, I did this for my clothing then picked up quality 2nd hand stuff off eBay. I also went for Gore-Tex due to being up in the north east of Scotland and this was a god send on many occasions ( including dac) As for the boots, try and get ones that offer a bit of torsion for going over your ankles. Not the best to walk on but hey, who wants to walk when you’re got a bike. Gloves have been mentioned above and if you can keep warm and dry ( even when it’s raining) you will not tire of enjoying your ride.
Finally the bike. Some dealers can be a bit reluctant to give a newly qualified rider a test drive which I am surprised about. You’d think this would be a definite sales opportunity as you have no bike. I’ve got an upright one and it does exactly what I need. Comfort and a bit of go to overtake and comfort to cruise about. Did I mention comfort? Anyway, sorry for the long winded post. Good luck with the course and keep practicing them u-turns. Once you get your license, you’ll never use them cause you just find another way home.
Enjoy

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 22:39:59 Mobile | Show all posts
Hey @CraigofScotland

Honda CBR 600 are great first bikes, very forgiving in the corners and fast enough to scare you when you are giving it the beans but best of all you can pick up a lovely low mileage bike for very little money.

Get into Hein Gericke in town and try on a few for size, they always have good deals when the sales are on or eBay/Gumtree is great for 2nd hand clothing. I managed to pick up the top of the range HG goretex suit of eBay a couple of years ago for £300 (cost the seller over 1K) and it's still going strong.

The others have said get a good quality lid that fits, I've got a schuberth C3 lid and its brilliant, I have the integrated bluetooth colour and the flip face is very convenient (had 3 lids before this and wouldn't not have a flip face now)

Enjoy

Use magic Report

Author| 24-11-2019 22:40:00 Mobile | Show all posts
Hi Gary,
Hope you and the family are well.   

What model are you meaning, Hornet?  

Clothing wise some of the rst stuff seems reasonably priced.  alpine too.   
Will try some on see what fits.  Will pop to the shop at the weekend and have a play.

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 22:40:01 Mobile | Show all posts
Kit wise just a small thing some jeans are now safer than leather if your interested (pricey though) check out the abrasion chart.

Trilobite 1663 Probut X-factor motorcycle jeans

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 22:40:02 Mobile | Show all posts
Excellent enjoy & welcome to the the world of biking best of luck with the direct access.

Advice already given here is excellent so nothing left to say but be safe out there.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 22:40:03 Mobile | Show all posts
Hey Craig,

We are all good, Barney too hope your family are well.

I should have said the CBR 600F

Like this example on Autotrader.

This was my first bike and it was great, fast enough but very forgiving and bombproof.

Use magic Report

Author| 24-11-2019 22:40:03 Mobile | Show all posts
Lovely looking bikes them, will add it to my list of stuff to tyre kick once my test is passed.  

Another lesson down last week, first time on country roads and a sunny day to boot, but it was on a 125 so when we hit 70mph carriageways, i had no chance.   Im not the lightest fella so the wee bike was having none of it.      

As i cant do weekdays or most Saturdays, its getting tricky to get available lessons at the place I go.   Gonna be an all summer affair.    No rush though.   Took me 2 years for a driving licence as I was constantly sent away on ships, come back 4 months later and was like starting again.

Use magic Report

123Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部