Dash Cams - why don't they..........

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 22:53:03 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
(or, is it possible to......) ?

One of the reasons I hesitate to add a DashCam is the after-market nature of these things, with the attendant visible (to whatever extent) wiring, wiring that requires the interior trim to be stripped apart if it is to be hidden, and controls that pretty much have to be on the device itself, not to mention the device, stuck somewhere in the windscreen (and likewise at the back if applicable).

And it occurred to me:  my car already has a fully installed, concealed, integrated camera at the front (used for lane kepping/assistance) and at the back (for reversing).  Why don't they (or can't I) add function to both of these by supplying just a recording device somewhere in the dash and using the output from these existing cameras to supply the source video?  Is there something fundamental about these cameras (esp. the front one) that renders them unsuitable for this additional purpose?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 22:53:04 Mobile | Show all posts
I think that manufacturers in the future will add integrated dash cams. Obviously they will charge £500 for the privilege of doing so.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 22:53:05 Mobile | Show all posts
I think it's more the software side and recording element of it. It's more than just a simple camera feed when you want to start adding recording features.

Tesla have just enabled the front and side cameras to allow recording but it's still very basic and no replacement for a good dashcam.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 22:53:05 Mobile | Show all posts
It could certainly be done, in software.
The Sony headunit (which is like a basic Android tablet plus AV interface) in my father's Ford Edge, acts as the display device for both cameras.
The caveat is that I believe the external storage (USB memory) is read-only - you need a PC to load media onto it for playback in the car. So you'd have no way to keep recorded incidents as it is.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 22:53:06 Mobile | Show all posts
First hurdle would be the resolution of the cameras you wish to capture.  A decent dash cam these days is at least 1080p, if not higher.  So long as you could get at the wiring loom to connect to the video feed from the existing cameras, capturing the picture on a portable gaming capture device would be possible but you wouldn't have any of the features such as auto save on collision.

One option would be a motorcycle unit that usually has two camera inputs and you could put the control box in the most convenient position for your usage.  Then tap into the existing cameras in the car instead of the supplied ones.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 22:53:07 Mobile | Show all posts
I would like to see as an interim measure, manufacturers placing a USB socket around the rear view mirror.

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 22:53:08 Mobile | Show all posts
Totally agree with the OP. I’ve had 360 degree camera solutions for the last decade in my cars. They’ve also had hard drives in them for capturing CDs, SD cars slots etc.

Sometimes the cameras can even be access through the PAN. Heck I’ve even remotely activated them and looked through them.

Why not enable recording through them. Even if it is only buffering and only stores the even when there is a collision like the other sensors do.

Happy to pay for it as well instead of having ugly aftermarket solutions.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 22:53:08 Mobile | Show all posts
Cameras for traffic sign recognition and lane assist probably don't have the contrast ability or resolution needed for dash cams, but they could easily be specified to do both.

The car will already have g sensors, speed and quite often GPS as well. This data along with the video could easily be recorded in a black box, retrievable remotely by a 4g or how about drive by flash download as you drive past a receiving mast.

This would make issuing tickets for speeding, careless driving, using your mobile, not wearing a seatbelt etc...

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 22:53:09 Mobile | Show all posts
For once we may have been ahead (I highly doubt it though )

Citroen C3: first car in Australia to come with a factory-fitted dash cam goes on sale today

Forward facing only and a bit ugly - but cheaper than the guesses here!

I guess it is resolution that is the difference- strange though when you consider what the other existing fitted cameras are looking at and how that video information can be used to drive the car! I kind of assumes these were all HD at least where they feed video to the decision making computer.........

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部