View: 344|Reply: 5

Damaged tyre - replace?

[Copy link]
24-11-2019 23:05:59 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
On the way home tonight, I managed to clobber two wheels on a kerb when distracted by trying to avoid having a white van run into my car when they were trying (unsuccessfully) to overtake.  I got home and had a look to find plenty of rim damage (particularly to the front), and also some tyre damage:

It looks like the main damage is to the rim protector (which didn't really work!), but there's also a tear to the tyre in the first photo.  Should I replace the tyre?

This is particularly annoying as I've only got another 3 or so months with this car, so if I could avoid any expense, that would be splendid.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:06:00 Mobile | Show all posts
That's fine. No chords exposed right? So do this, let it dry and then get some super glue and glue the rubber back in to place and that will be fine. This only applies if no chord has been exposed.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:06:01 Mobile | Show all posts
I would cut the bit hanging off with scissors, i think those bits are meant to protect the rims anyway

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 23:06:02 Mobile | Show all posts
You may get or already have a slow puncture in it through the knock against that alloy.

But yes I feel your pain. Always the case. My worst was our Mercedes-AMG GL, I had two new tyres on it one month before I sold it. Then two weeks before it was being picked up, a nail through the side of one of the new tyres. And no one had these tyres available at all I had to get four new tyres of different make/model. I could cry...

Hope it works better for you.

Use magic Report

Author| 24-11-2019 23:06:02 Mobile | Show all posts
Hmm, I hope that doesn't happen! The front tyre is in a size that's doesn't seem readily available in the UK (Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 3 - 225/40R19) so I'd have to order it from one of the websites where they source their tyres from Europe (i.e. MyTyres or Tyreleader).

Fortunately I have my winter tyres and wheels in the shed, so I'll have to use them for a week or so whilst the alloys are getting repaired.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:06:03 Mobile | Show all posts
Just check for any strange bumps that appear in the side wall that might indicate a failed cord. Other than that, it's just cosmetic and no big deal. More likely that the alloy is damaged and may be bent or cracked. This would be more concerning than the tyre I would suggest.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部