Taking a driving test in auto?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:19:50 Mobile | Show all posts
It's the opposite actually.
The auto box takes away the physical task of swapping gears so you can concentrate on driving.
If you feel that changing gears is driving then I would suggest you are missing out on the sheer satisfaction and pleasure of real driving.
And of course electric cars are automatics.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:19:50 Mobile | Show all posts
^ I sort of agree with what you are saying, but see many, many people in automatics who are not thinking about driving at all because they are not engaged with their vehicle, let alone anyone else on the road.  They appear to be in their armchair at home, device in one hand, casually looking at what is in front of them (sometimes), not using mirrors or thinking about their position on the road, as they are just bored sitting in a big metal box when they just want to be at their destination so that they can be on their phone 100% (instead of just 50% whilst in their car).
They steer with one hand (jerkily), don't indicate, can't maintain speed, can't plan ahead to the next turning, don't get that there are others on the road.  They speed then brake hard, think that by actually using that funny little stick next to the round thing entitles them to change direction at any time regardless of what is there already or what is in the correct place at the correct time.
I could go on, but I think you get the picture - automatics make some of the worst drivers even worse because they are not required to engage with their vehicle, let alone anyone elses.

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 23:19:51 Mobile | Show all posts
Not sure I agree with this. Drivers are being distracted by all the things you mention regardless of the need to operate a clutch and stick IMO. The vast majority of drivers have never been connected/engaged with their car and how it operates either.

I know many of us on here enjoy driving cars and the nuances of gear and steering inputs to fine time the enjoyment. IME the other 99% of drivers have no clue about that kind of stuff. Learn how to make it go so you get a bit of plastic and then drive as a means to an end and with it being an annoying interruption in your life.

People are incredibly selfish nowadays about things interrupting what they want to do. That is why my work colleagues now spend half the work day on their social media having spent have the drive on it too.

Use magic Report

Author| 24-11-2019 23:19:52 Mobile | Show all posts
You could be right and agree there are some very bad drivers out there but surely they would still be bad if driving a manual car, if anything worse.

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 23:19:52 Mobile | Show all posts
A bad driver will do the same in any vehicle. I cannot comment on what gearbox has been in many a plonkers vehicle passing me by but I can comment that many are on the phone, reading (next meetings notes?), phone and reading and wandering around the lanes, just lucky they passed a basic set of tests etc. etc. My personal hate, speeding up when you try to pass them and the limiter at 55.

Auto requires a slightly different approach to the way you plan ahead to a manual. If someone passes in a manual all they have to do with an auto is remember to tuck the left foot out the way..., and read the manual (don't we all anyway...) on what the hand brake situation is with the vehicle and not rely on the auto box park function (old fashion lever here not electric brake as on newer models).

Unless of course you are an extra in Fast and Furious and need to change gear 97 times before the next set of lights 400yds ahead.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:19:53 Mobile | Show all posts
Yeah, a bad driver is a bad driver.
If someone has little inclination or talent to drive properly I'd rather take away some of the effort to let them concentrate on what's important.
Suggesting that a person drives badly because they're driving an automatic is a little disingenuous.
Perhaps you should ask the formula one drivers if they'd rather spend their time changing gears manually. Or bus drivers. Or most class one police drivers....

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:19:54 Mobile | Show all posts
My point was that it isn't easy to hold a mobile phone in your left hand with a manual, but lots of people do with an automatic...

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 23:19:55 Mobile | Show all posts
And they do it in manuals quite well. Or badly rather.

Bluetooth enabled? Doesn’t matter what you drive. Needs to get the same attention as drink driving and demonised as much.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:19:56 Mobile | Show all posts
^ agree, but what are the chances of actually being caught ? - virtually zero.

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 23:19:57 Mobile | Show all posts
In a manual you can hold it in your right hand, and just let go of the steering wheel or use your knee

My point is that people who manually want to fiddle with a phone or something else whilst driving will always find a way....

It should also be said that not all auto's are equal, some can be super engaging and fun, but generally all have different characteristics....

The VAG DSG box is fairly quick in shifting gears. As tested on the track there are very few people who can truly be quicker with a manual.

And when you push it, then you also learn how to 'prime' the next gear ready be it up or down. So whilst the computer does the actual shift, you can control it and you can get it wrong as well.

On my VAG DSG a mistake like that is forgiving, but on our Mercedes-AMG tuned auto box you'll end up with your face against the windscreen if you don't wear a seat belt. That in sport   mode is bunny hopping inducing like with a bad manual stick stirrer if you don't continue with your intent....Awesome when you have the track/test circuit, really not recommended to use around town.

And my old Audi Tiptronic is much more of the old fashioned set it to drive and forget about it. The manual override, the different settings really don't make much of a difference.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部