View: 792|Reply: 25

My search for the elusive perfect combined Sat Nav/Dash Cam

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:30:32 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
As my background is in IT I do wonder why there are still two devices performing these tasks rather then a single combined device.....

I use Waze on a Sammie Tablet as my Satnav, I also own a number of Yi 4K Action Cams (Yi also produce a Dash Cam but it's without a GPS or 'absent monitoring' facility), the Yi 4K Action Camera does have a small screen on the back and does respond (variably) to voice commands.

Now, while I appreciate that temperature range and specifically heat generation is an issue for small devices it cannot be that far a leap to bring out a Small Tablet (7-9 inches) that combines the functionality of both devices, after all this isn't rocket science.

So, the (for me) perfect combined device would include.....

Waze (or similar) free satnav capability.
As close as possible to 4K 60FPS Dash Cam
Front and rear cameras so it you mount if centre dash you can record anything hitting you in the back
GPS built in and recorded (obviously needs GPS for Waze but would like the GPS location overlaid onto the recorded pictures).
Split screen facility so you can see sat nav and dash cam views at same time if required.
Time/Date - see GPS immediately above
Impact detector autosave in case of accident
Bluetooth and WiFi so you can monitor from another device if required (standard on Yi Cameras)
Absent recording facility, so if you're parked up the unit can continue to record at a lower level say 1080p 30FPS in case some tw*t hits you
Ability to save trips to app for analysis later - reports could be autogenerated
Ability to save Petrol fillup amounts for analysis later
Ability to incorporate 'safe driving' facilities which record how you drive for you to analyse later
Discrete casing so it doesn't attract every thief in town

Anything I've forgotten?

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 23:30:33 Mobile | Show all posts
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 23:30:34 Mobile | Show all posts
I think such a device has a major flaw... The dashcam positioning.  You'd need to have the Sat Nav mounted at dash level which is a poor level for a camera which is ideally suited to rear view mirror camera level.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Also dash cams are installed and left in place. With a dash cam built into the nav you would always have to take it out and connect even for short journeys where you don't need the sat nav- which 90% of my journeys are.

Use magic Report

I thought about this for a while, but in the end decided it didn't make sense.  So went for a NextBase with GPS mounted behind the mirror, and just plonk the phone with waze on the dashboard.

Use magic Report

This is potentially the biggest problem, you'd find that for little 2-3 min journeys, it'd be too much hassle setting it all up which defeats the object of a dash cam.  A dash cam should be hardwired and set to start from the moment the ignition is live without any intervention .

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:30:35 Mobile | Show all posts
The aviva app allows you to use your phone as a dashcam, so the concept is at least feasible, but as pointed out, if my phone is securely on the dash all it will see is the clock (as it fits perfectly on a shelf in front of the clock)

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Best place for dashcam is top centre.

Why would i want a 7-9 inch tablet blocking my view out of the windscreen?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Also many of new cars have inbuilt SatNavs as standard, so although useful for a time how long before they become pointless?

Use magic Report

TBF most manufacturers sat nav implementation is poor.  Combine with infrequent updates and lack of key features (traffic etc) plus astronomical prices, mobile units still have a place.

Use magic Report

123Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部