123456Next
Back New
Author: MrMister111

Petrol engine - use super unleaded?

[Copy link]
24-11-2019 23:35:16 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks and sure i wasn’t looking for name, company, location etc And yes when working on critical national infrastructure you got to be careful.

So what were the myths then? You seem to be confirming that the stuff we put in our cars isn’t the same. Which is what was being discussed.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:35:17 Mobile | Show all posts
The base fuel is the same which is 99% of the stuff.  The additives are a very small proportion.  The myths imply that more than that is different for different fuel retailers.  It is no secret that each retailer has its own additive pack added when the tankers are loaded.  The vast majority (almost all) the fuel you use is identical whatever fuel retailer you use.

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 23:35:18 Mobile | Show all posts
My point being that at the point of use it is base fuel (as per the standard) plus additives. You can’t choose not to have that at the pump. Therefore it is not the same from a consumer perspective when we fill up.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:35:18 Mobile | Show all posts
I suppose it depends on how much you think difference the various companied additives actually make.

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 23:35:19 Mobile | Show all posts
As explained before, to an engine tuned for it then it does make a difference. When it is not then it wouldn’t make a difference.

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 23:35:20 Mobile | Show all posts
My 2011 passat and 2013 CC were both petrol and both used to idle lumpy on cheap fuel so I always used premium brand super unleaded, now i own a diesel and do the exact same, premium all the way.

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 23:35:20 Mobile | Show all posts
@stblob unsure what’s funny about post #5

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 23:35:21 Mobile | Show all posts
OK, this is diesel but still a good example.
For years I used Sainsburys diesel because they don't get their fuel on the spot market then about three years ago got a new job with a BP garage as I got to the place so started using that - two percent more but ten percent more mileage and a lot more power when I needed it.
This is BP standard diesel.
Did a search a couple of months ago and it turns out BP standard  fuels are very good with Shell a close second.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:35:22 Mobile | Show all posts
My company has strict rules about buying diesel for the work vans (a fleet of thousands) has to be the cheapest which is supermarkets and super diesel is banned because it doesn't cover the extra cost, also don't drive over 2 miles out of your way for cheaper fuel ,as it's not cost effective.

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 23:35:23 Mobile | Show all posts
In Australia much like NZ (@DOBLY) we have 91 RON as standard. Australia cars (well none left built here now but anyway ones built for Australia) will run on that no worries. Many nowadays do all the fiddling in the ECU and many will take E85 without complaint.

European cars (I have the 1.8 TSi Skoda Superb) say minimum 95 RON in the manual and fuel cap). I had a Ford Focus and tried 91 in that and can confirm it can’t handle it. So haven’t tried 91 nor 93/94 10% ethanol on my Skoda. 95 here is called super.

Apart from that we have 98 Ron that they call ultimate here. My car will give a bit more power on that but I can’t be bothered with the extra expense despite the marketing.

Additives are definitely a seperate thing IMO. They can put the cleaners etc in 91 RON and many claim to here. That is their main market.

I use whatever the minimum specs are In the manual and that is a minimum RON and a national standard. The cleaners etc are marketed as improving things. Sticking to the minimum permitted by the maker isn’t using crap fuel. It will operate as a car for many years.

Use magic Report

123456Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部