View: 606|Reply: 11

Golf R or something else?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:41:21 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Following a recent change in my job, I now find I need a car again. I was working in London, but my new role has me driving around the country somewhat more and quite honestly, a 12 year old Z4 is not ideal for this! I bought the Z4 for weekend fun, but it's become my daily, which was not in the plan.

I would like something with a bit of performance - as I am used to the 250BHP that the Z4 has and can get a good lease price on a 310 BHP Golf R.

So far as I can tell, the Golf R is basically the same running gear as the more expensive Audi S3. I like VWs and had a Passatt as my last company car. I now get £700 per month as a car allowance, so there's plenty of choice for the money.

Alternatives might be a BMW M2, one of the faster Mercs, a Jaguar F type or possibly a Mustang. Not worried about fuel costs as I get those covered, but insurance and servicing will be down to me.

Any suggestions or real life experience of any of these? I don't need a load lugger, just something that will eat up the motorway miles with more comfort than my rock hard, noisy Z4!

Thanks in advance.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:41:22 Mobile | Show all posts
I'd love a Golf R. Sometimes I sit in my Golf GTD and make burbling sounds with my lips and imagine it's the dulcet tones of the petrol engine rather than the drone of my diesel. Bit of a bugger wiping the windscreen clean on the inside everytime, but hey ho.

If you're going to a lot of miles then comfort is important and the 'performance' Golfs are basically the same on the inside and apart from different finishes the seats are very comfortable and supportive. The cabin itself is pleasant with everything within reach. Easy to get a good driving position and that in itself is pretty spot on. They can all be ordered with the adaptive chassis, which I have, giving a comfort or sport mode for the suspension.

Pretty solid on the road with four wheel grip, yet my son's mate has just managed to stuff his 68 plate with less than 300 miles on the clock. No youngster either, in his early 40s just a bit younger than my son.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:41:23 Mobile | Show all posts
If you want petrol then I'd look at a 440i and of course the M140i. I'd test drive a Golf R, they seem to be a little on the dull side.

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 23:41:24 Mobile | Show all posts
Spoilt fo choices with hot hatches at the minute. I love my M140i out of the winter months, Golf R is a very capable well built car and great in the winter. RS3, AMG45 exceptional if way over priced cars. I’m also liking the look of the new Megane RS and Hyundai i30N Cars which will be cheaper to run but still great fun. For £700 get the RS3 with some nice extras

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:41:25 Mobile | Show all posts
^^ What @un1eash said.

I have this thing about the Golf R (and the R32/GTi etc before it), on paper it sounds ideal, hatch, 2L  turbo, 300ish bhp or so., 4wd.. all sounds good.

Then I get in one and it all falls apart. It just doesn't do it for me at all. 280lb/ft but it never feels like it - sure its quick but never feels like it, it does what it does very well, but its very sterile and cold, it just doesn't make me want to go throw it down a b-road.

Aside from that they've insisted on a touchscreen stereo/control unit that it out of the drivers eyeline, which I think is a stupid idea because the driver is going to take their eyes off the road - even if you use the steering controls. The stock seats to my eye look cheap and dated (they remind me of old Astra GTE seats), the leather option is a whole bunch of money. I think they've changed them now but the stock wheels also looked cheap in a halfords/ripspeed kind of way.

I'm always disappointed when I get to the car in the flesh. Last time I changed car I ended up in an M135i (before the M140 was out). Never ever thought I'd buy a BMW and was quite shocked about it, but I'm quite happy in it. An M2 would be nice but quite a bit more money.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:41:26 Mobile | Show all posts
I too looked at the Golf R but a couple of things put me off.
1. Theft risk
2. Image. It seems to attract some types I don't want to be associated with. (You work it out).
3. They are everywhere.
4. The boot is smaller than I'd like due to the 4wd system.

So, I got the same basic car but it's a fully equipped Arteon. It overcomes the issues above and I have space to burn. Even on 20s, with the adaptive suspension set to comfort, it rides nicely and returns 33mpg.

Obviously it's too large to hustle but it suits me. Mine is bought (I'm old fashioned) but I'm sure with your allowance, you'd get a decent deal.

Food for thought.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 24-11-2019 23:41:27 Mobile | Show all posts
The track battle video was interesting, but I can't see me ever taking this onto a track. I'll keep the Z4 for that! On road, they were more impressed with it. Most of my driving will be motor ways and fast A-roads, plus the odd trip to Scotland and the Lakes.

I know what you mean about an R feeling a bit sterile. My Passatt was much the same, even compared to my previous Volvo V50. That felt much more alive and fun to throw around, even if it was not as comfortable. I think I need to try one for a few days and see how I feel about it.

Not sure I am a fan of the floating screens. I understand the whole keeping the screen closer to the eye line, but actually I find that it's more of a distraction and I prefer a screen out of my eye line to reduce the temptation to concentrate on it.

An RS3 or AMG Merc is certainly appealing, but I doubt I would ever get to tap into the extra power. The M2 I feel looks too aggressive and there's a tendency for people to want to race you. The R is more of a sleeper - at least to my eyes!

The Megan and Hyundai are expensive to lease due to the poor RVs, so that puts them out of the running. I really want a little bit more power as well.

I think I need to keep looking for the moment. Thanks for the insights so far

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:41:27 Mobile | Show all posts
I treated myself to a new Golf R last week , i love it, I have previously had gti's , the 4motion is great, feels really comfortable and is powerful. Also it does not look too flashy, the digital dash and trim i got looks smart also, very happy, plus cheaper on tax and insurance than my last Gti..

Use magic Report

Only thing against the Golf R is that they are just so flipping common and cheap. They are just everywhere. I had one of the very first when they were release, but then the lease deals dropped to £179 with no deposit and to me it killed the exclusivity of what is otherwise a really nice car. I’d lease one anytime as it is really nice to drive, but never buy one with my own money.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Get a 3litre diesel Jaguar XF.

This is biased as I have one, but it’s a great car to drive, stunning power and has loads of features too.

Use magic Report

12Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部