123Next
Back New

New Company Car - BMW 520D SE

[Copy link]
 Author| 24-11-2019 23:49:03 Mobile | Show all posts
This photo (look at the dial on the right) probably gives you a good idea

The bottom bit of each dial is LCD. The rest is a real dial.

On older models, just the right hand dial had the LCD bit. Now it runs across the entire length  of the display

I can't say it looked bad under low light however once it gets dark, the dash turns orange (see the other picture) including the LCDs                                                                                                                                                       
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:49:04 Mobile | Show all posts
No, that's much better. A lot slicker than in the 5 I drove around 2 years ago which would have been the first of the current F10 model.
I was thinking about trying a Merc next (I had an E Class as a courtesy car when my A4 was in the bodyshop following a prang) but this is lovely, inside and out.
The Audi was a foolish decision, as my E39 was the best car I've had to date.

Use magic Report

Author| 24-11-2019 23:49:05 Mobile | Show all posts
So over the last few years I have had the following

BMW 335D Touring - New on a 57 plate - Ran for 4 years and 80,000 miles
Mercedes 350CDi Estate - New on a 61 plate - Ran for 12 months but see the link in my signature why it was returned
Audi A7 - Bought at 9 months old on a 61 plate ran for 18 months
And now this 520D

It's to early to pass judgement on the new 5 but the BMW stands out as being the most solid whilst the Audi seems to major on trying to keep up with the starship enterprise

I must admit though that on a trip to Newbury and back yesterday (a 260 mile rounds trip) the 520D was extremely quiet and comfortable.

Of course if it was my money I would go for a 3 litre engine and more toys but the car itself is hard to fault

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:49:05 Mobile | Show all posts
Just read your blog. That sounds dreadful, and the kind of hassle you can do without.
It seems that Mercedes quality and customer service is on a par from what I've experienced from Audi.

I went back to Audi after 6 months with a few queries. Namely the shocking paint finish, a gaping hole in the rear bumper, the unachievable quoted 60MPG  fuel consumption and a braking issue which I made the mistake of calling brake fade (which I have since found out is referred to as a "high spot" in the braking but from that day forth my car would be listed as having a customer diagnosed brake fade a.k.a take it for a spin round the block and say that there is nothing wrong with it!).
All of which were met with a general apathy and 'meh' attitude. Put me right off Audi.

From what I've heard, the customer service received by some from the likes of Hyundai, Kia, Skoda for example is second to none.
I think the problem is that these big boys are relying on the perceived reputation of their product and badge snobs.

(But I still wouldn't drive a Kia. )

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:49:06 Mobile | Show all posts
I think you are spot on with your comments regarding dealers riding on the back of a perceived quality. VW dealers near me are unbelievably arrogant and apathetic, and we are talking pre-sales not after sales!

I ran a Lexus IS220d as a company car for around 3.5 years and they really are the masters of after sales customer service. As an example, two of the alloy wheels were flaking (very small spot, about 50mm long by 5mm wide in each wheel). I happened to mention it when I dropped it off on a service at around 10,000 and when I picked the car up it had 4 brand new alloys and new tyres!

I've also had really good service from Mitsubishi when I ran an Outlander.

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 23:49:06 Mobile | Show all posts
That's an ugly lump of metal, not a fan of the 520d. However the A7's are very nice, great sound system. At least it will be a comfortable, cruising motor

Use magic Report

Author| 24-11-2019 23:49:07 Mobile | Show all posts
I wouldn't go as far as ugly. Remember I have been running around in a Nissan Juke (now that's an ugly car) for the last few weeks since returning my A7 so I do know what ugly looks like but it's certainly a very forgettable car that you could loose in a car park. I get the impression it's natural colour would be beige

As for sound systems in car, they are only as good as what you spec. The base Audi system in an A7 is shockingly bad. Indeed it's far worse than the BMW one however I had the Bose system on mine (a £1000 option) and you can spec the B&O system if you can justify the £6500 option cost. Likewise had I been buying a BMW with my own money and been able to choose options, they are big into their Harmon Kardon speakers and Logic7 systems which again are a vast improvement on stock

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 23:49:08 Mobile | Show all posts
5 series is a great car, really needs a decent set of rims though.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:49:09 Mobile | Show all posts
Like the look of the new 5 Series, some good kit as standard, but as mentioned the entry level audio is poor to say the least.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:49:10 Mobile | Show all posts
Have the same car albeit an auto, and the stereo is terrible Otherwise a great car, real mile muncher.

Use magic Report

123Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部