12Next
Back New
View: 575|Reply: 16

Buying tyres on the internet is harder than it should be

[Copy link]
24-11-2019 23:52:26 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I finally got fed up with the harsh ride on my car's run flats, so I decided to buy some "normal" tyres instead.  My main criteria for buying (other than price) are fuel consumption and noise, so I opted for Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 3s (EU ratings C/A/69).  My car has different sizes front and rear - 225/40 R19 at the front and 255/35 R19 at the back.  For some reason, none of the main UK sites listed the 225/40s at all, which meant that my choices were European firms MyTyres and Tyreleader.

On Tuesday, I ordered my tyres from MyTyres, despite them being more expensive (mainly due to Tyreleader's reputation for often poor customer service and being hopeless at communication if things go awry).  As there were different sizes of tyres, they split my single order in two and tried to debit my credit card twice in quick succession.  My bank (Halifax) decided to decline one of the transactions.  I didn't find this out until I'd received a notification from MyTyres and then cancelled my order because I couldn't be bothered with faffing about waiting, and then checked my online banking (it's not a card I use often).  I ordered instead from Tyreleader.

The next day, I got an email from MyTyres telling me that the 225/40s had been dispatched.  Umm?  I phoned them up (fortunately on a UK number) and was told that neither cancellation had been actioned and that I should reject the tyres when they eventually turn up.  I was asked if I wanted to cancel the other order, and affirmed this.  What's the point of having a facility to cancel an order if it's hit or miss as to whether they actually, err, cancel the order?

Meanwhile, Tyreleader had also decided to split their order in two and I got a shipping notification for the rear set later that same day.  The front pair remained stuck in stasis.

DPD delivered the tyres today.  Can you guess how many they dropped off?  Why, four of course!  The only order number listed on the paperwork was for the rear set and when I left work today, the order for the other pair was still showing "not dispatched".

I received an email this evening.  Time for a quiz:

1. Who sent the email?
2. What does the email say?

If you guessed "Tyreleader" and "your other order has been dispatched", then you'd be right!

It would be tempting to keep the other tyres and try and sell them on eBay or something, but I'm an honest sort of chap, so I've already notified Tyreleader that they've sent me two extras.  They have a £25 return fee, which I'm hoping they won't charge me.  If they do, I'll be disputing it with my credit card company.

German efficiency?  Pah!

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 23:52:27 Mobile | Show all posts
Out of curiosity , how much of a saving are you making compared to going to your local tyre place , or even the dreaded crap fit !!!
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:52:28 Mobile | Show all posts
Used mytyres.co.uk loadsa times, never a problem. And i buy a lot of tyres

Like the OP, i have a staggered setup (225/35/19 and 255/30/19) and have the order split in two by mytyres.

They all arrive at the same time though.

Also, try oponeo, they’re usually not far off price compared to mytyres. I quite often receive a 5% discount code from mytyres and of course, mytyres are on quidco

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I always use camskill for tyres always had good service over many years...

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Seems an appropriate place to bring it up; aren't tyre sizes an illogical mix of metric tread width, tread/sidewall ratio, English inner diameter and arbitrary speed codes.
The one obvious measurement (outer diameter or alternatively rolling circumference) being absent.
Really, who thought changing the tread to metric but keeping the rims in inches made any sense for items marketed worldwide ?

Use magic Report

In fact , it's completely the wrong place but I agree .....

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Just like we buy petrol in litres, but economy is measured in miles per gallon.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:52:29 Mobile | Show all posts
Not really. You can measure consumption in litres per kilometre, or in miles per gallon. You can only buy fuel in litres in Europe because Europe has chosen Metric and UK has followed suit. In the USA it's probably still sold in gallons. Either way we don't mix miles per litre or kilometres per gallon. That's what's so mad about tyre sizing.

Use magic Report

Not for me; it’s liters per 100km

Everyone around he world knows the wheel diameter in inches. Same as with records; in Holland you see 12 inch records advertised.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Also an American gallon is different than a uk gallon, just to confuse things even more.

Use magic Report

12Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部