Author: djbsom

Holiday traffic.

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:58:30 Mobile | Show all posts
The standard of driving in the UK really isn't bad - compared to the rest of the world it is almost at the top - but it is worse than it has been.  I think it is because cars are so safe now, people just don't realize that they can be injured or killed whilst sitting in their comfy box - this translates to them doing whatever they want as (to them) there are no consequences.  
It certainly doesn't occur to them that they can be the cause of serious injury or death to someone else, so what does it matter which lane I drive in, I know where I am going.  Indicate, why do I need to do that? - I know where I am going, that's all that matters to me......
I was taught that you shouldn't just be indicating, you should indicate your intention to inform others of what you are about to do.  These days, so many people only indicate when they are already doing (or have just done) the manoeuvre......
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I think this harks back to when dual carriageways were simply wider "normal" roads.  My Dad used to drive into central London most days from the west of Surrey using the A3 - round Tolworth / New Malden he would never use the left hand lane because local traffic was joining / leaving the A3 at side roads every few hundred yards or so.  Now there are less entrances & exits, so the left hand lane can be used without being affected so much by this type of traffic - it is much more "motorway-like" than it was years and years ago, but some drivers still exhibit the behaviour that was required a long time ago.
Also, some drivers still call the inside lane the "slow" lane, and for reasons of vanity / pride just don't want to be associated with this, because they may be held up.

Over here in NZ & Australia, there are "keep left unless overtaking" signs at the start of each section of dual carriageway - some people still don't pay any attention to them though...

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Most states now have laws requiring slower traffic to keep right:

State "keep right" laws

"Slower traffic keep right" are common on multi-lane highways in many states. However, old habits die hard so these laws are pretty well universally ignored.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
You should not mock those drivers that hog the middle lane. They have a gift, it's almost an unwanted gift and very few will admit that they have it for fear of being ridiculed. The gift I am talking about is being able to see into the third dimension and know that aliens only use the inside lane. They are quite likely to crash into them if they themselves use the inside lane. It's a terrible burden for them to carry......................leave them alone.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
That kind of undertaking manoeuvre could land you with a ticket if the police see you. I suggest you read the Highway code.

Rule 268. Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 24-11-2019 23:58:31 Mobile | Show all posts
An overtake manoeuvre needs a change of direction and usually a change of speed. Simply maintaining a safe and constant legal speed in the left lane will not usually attract attention from a traffic officer.
However, there is a big safety issue here. The reason the middle lane driver is in that lane is an unknown to you.
If they are simply being lazy and are aware of surrounding traffic then you could well pass them by even though you are passing them to their left. If they are simply distracted and unaware that they've become a "middle lane hogger", they might  suddenly wake up and return to the left lane at any time. They could also be the type of person who knows exactly where they are and will deliberately move back into the lane to "teach you a lesson". They are all around us. Not a day goes by when I don't have to deal with these 'gentlemen' in my day job.
So, make absolute certain you have somewhere to go before passing someone on the left. Be it a clearly empty hard shoulder or whatever.
The aim of every journey is to arrive alive, not to score points.

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 23:58:31 Mobile | Show all posts
Oh are those lanes for everyone? i thought they were for VIPS like me to use

I spent a few months working in Edgbaston and would use the section of the M6 from the Aston expressway to the M42, everytime i would sit in that lane with the cruise control set at the variable speed limit and always end up undertaking the other vehicles all the way.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
All depends on the definition of overtaking. I will also ask said police officer why he is not taking action against the middle lane logger, as they are also breaking the highway code.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
That’s never going to happen though. We don’t have enough police left for a start. Which is why the middle lane issue is still so prevalent.

There is a difference between undertaking someone when there is traffic in all other lanes because you want to queue jump and undertaking some middle lane hogging dumbass.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:58:32 Mobile | Show all posts
If you are towing you have little option but to undertake, or sit behind them.

Use magic Report

1234Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部