View: 453|Reply: 8

Vw golf mk6 tdi dsg rattling engine issue + coolant leak?

[Copy link]
25-11-2019 00:02:58 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Hi guys hope you can help as I really no nothing about cars or what to check.
This problem has recently starting ocurring on my car.

On a cold start once engine started for about 30-40 seconds I get a rather large rattling sound coming from what sounds like right hand side of bonnet drivers side. This only lasts around 30 seconds and disappears then or straight away as soon as I start driving. This has only started happening recently I've done a few Google searches and most seem to come back with head gasket or timing belt?

I'm at 97k with my service due now but my manual states my timing belt doesn't need changing until 120k?

My other issue is I am having very heavy coolant drain. I top up and then within a week I'm way below minimum level like waaay below. But I get no warning on dashboard or anything. I have  no idea what to check for but my oil filler cap by engine looks damp and the surrounding engine area looks a little damp too?

Any help to figure out what could be the issue guys?
I have recorded a video of the rattling but no idea how to upload sorry.

Any help appreciated thanks

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 00:02:59 Mobile | Show all posts
Timing belts often need to be changed either with mileage or with time.  IIRC my MkV GTi has to be done every 4 years regardless - it should say in the service book.
Rattles can also be pulleys and tensioners.  I had a tensioner sieze on my last car - doing several hundred quids worth of damage when the damaged belt whipped around in the engine bay.

Losing coolant at that rate is also worrying.
Is it puddling under the car when parked and off overnight?
If you run the engine while parked does it start to drip?
It might just be a connection or split hose.

As you say you know nothing about cars I wouldn't spend much more time googling, I'd find a good independent or your local VW dealership and get it looked at.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 00:03:00 Mobile | Show all posts
I'm no mechanic but it sounds like your water pump could be the cause of the rattle.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 00:03:00 Mobile | Show all posts
Firstly open the bonnet and look at the fan belt (aux belt) on the driver's side of the engine and...with the engine OFF...grab hold of the fan belt and feel for any slackness, there should not be any slackness, but if there is then the fan belt (aux belt) tensioner needs replacing. I'm fairly sure the tensioner is your problem, but there could also be a problem with the alternator pulley.

Regarding the coolant loss...check around the middle of the radiator, which is at the front of the engine compartment, for water dripping or covering the tray that runs under the engine.
VW cars have a very common problem with coolant leaks from the radiator where the coolant fan fits onto the radiator...a bracket rubs through the radiator fins and causes a leak...it's a design fault in my opinion, I've seen the problem many times! Of course it could be something else but look in that direction first of all. After checking the radiator check underneath where the fan belt fits in case the water pump is leaking.

Regarding your timing belt....get it done  NOW and make sure the fan belt and water pump are replaced and ask for the fan belt tensioner to be checked or replaced...this is also a very common failing!

Use magic Report

Author| 25-11-2019 00:03:00 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks for the replies guys.

So if I get the cam belt changed and the water pump this will fix the issue of engine coolant drain too?

I've been quoted £490 by vw for cam belt and water pump but a local independent garage has said they will do it for £335 and that includes cam belt all tensioners and water pump.

Seems like not too bad a price to me is that reasonable? They offer 12 month Labour and parts guarantee for piece of mind.

I'm taking it to Halfords on Monday for their free cam belt check just to be 100% certain that's the issue then can go from there I guess.

Use magic Report

Author| 25-11-2019 00:03:00 Mobile | Show all posts
I thought I saw a small puddle underneath my car the other day but not 100% as it was wet that day I might put some cardboard underneath to see if it's leaking there

I have checked the oil filler cap for a milky colour (was told to check this as coolant could be leaking through to there) and this seems fine so presume although still bad it's better it's leaking out of the car and not into the engine?

My engine always seems to look damp around the surrounding area of the oil filler cap though not sure if this is the coolant leaking out or?

Use magic Report

Author| 25-11-2019 00:03:01 Mobile | Show all posts
The coolant drain isn't fast it's definitely leaking far too quick i would say from around the max level to a way below min level in a week or so. So it's not like it's leaking straight out as soon as it's put in.

It's still a major issue I know but if it's a slow leak it could mean a different issue compared to a fast leak if that makes sense?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 00:03:01 Mobile | Show all posts
It sounds like a significant coolant leak. It should be obvious to a mechanic when they’ve got it on ramps and can see properly.

If your local indie have a decent reputation that sounds like a fair price.
When I bought my mkv gti I got the garage to replace the aux belt and water pump as part of the deal. The consequences of not replacing them before they fail are much worse than the cost of conservatively replacing them before they do.

Car-man knows his stuff much more than I do so follow his advice.

Some Halfords are good. Some have an awful reputation. It’s down to the staff. Google your branch to see before you accept a big quote.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 00:03:01 Mobile | Show all posts
Any milky colour in the oil filler is more likely to be caused by condensation.
A milky colour on the oil dipstick could indicate possible head gasket failure.

My normal price for cambelt, water pump, tensioners and aux belt is £330 for a 2.0 TDi engine.

Don't forget to have the radiator checked....I see quite a few of these Golfs where the engine cooling fan mounting bracket has rubbed through the radiator fins causing a leak, including my son's Golf!

I came across a Passat 2.0 TDi DSG recently where there was a rattle from the passenger's side which was a dual mass flywheel rattle!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部