123Next
Back New
View: 671|Reply: 21

Driving on the right and road positioning problems.

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 00:40:30 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I have just come back from a week in France, having driven on the right for the first ever time.

I drove almost every day and whilst I eventually got the hang of everything eventually (especially using my other hand for gear changes), my road positioning always seemed to be a problem.

My wife kept pointing out that I was drifting too far to the right all the time.

Has anyone else had this issue and why might this be?

It never occurred to me that this would be a problem.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 00:40:30 Mobile | Show all posts
Had to this problem, takes a while to adjust. What I found useful was checking offside (passenger) mirror for the gap to the line/side of road
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 00:40:31 Mobile | Show all posts
I've had this in the US. I think it's just spatial awareness and being used to having lots of "space" on your left in a right-hand drive car, so your body just feels more "at home" with more space on that side of your body. After 3 weeks driving in the US with my wife "gently reminding me" (to use her words ) that I was creeping too far over, I got the message....

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 00:40:31 Mobile | Show all posts
Considering you are sitting on the right, isn't the important element that you are comfortable with where you are? Your wife who I assume is sitting to the left of you can't possibly say/see the whole story. I use the road markings as my guide, and yes in a right hand drive vehicle you'll be a bit more aligned with the right of the road compared in left hand drive territory. No problem in that.

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 00:40:32 Mobile | Show all posts
I find driving in the USA to be a doddle, but throw in a gear stick and I really struggle.

Use magic Report

Difference there is that you won’t be driving a right hand drive car. If I’m not mistaken that is what the OP was talking about; a RHD in a LHD country.

Use magic Report

I was unsure as the OP mentioned using their other hand for gear changes.

Use magic Report

You are quite right. I had that totally wrong. My mistake. Oops.

Same principle applies though, road markings are useful.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 00:40:32 Mobile | Show all posts
Sorry, I should have clarified that I hired a car, rather than taking my own.

To be honest, I did set myself a bit of a challenge to begin with - LHD manual car in the South of France, where the roads are particularly narrow.  A lot of the drivers, out there, were also less than patient, though that seems to be the case in England, these days.

This was also the first time I have ever driven abroad, too, despite having been driving in this country for well over twenty years, now.

Thanks for you replies/explanations - is reassuring to know that I had a typical issue with making the change and that I would have needed more than just 5 or so days of driving to start feeling comfortable with it.

Use magic Report

No matter how much I drive in the US, I catch myself drifting towards the edge of the lane. I forget which side right now. The thing is, I don't do it the opposite way round in the UK. It's weird.

Use magic Report

123Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部